Saturday, February 27, 2010

honesty may not be the best policy

Well I can say with a high degree of certainty that I blew the job on that final interview. However, it is true that if I blew it with the question about flexibility in taking less than an hour to run out and pick up one of the kids somewhere (allegedly a lunch break allocation in the 45+ hour week) then the job would not have worked out anyway. I had begun to worry about things like migraine cycles, kids on drugs and flunking out of school, and little dogs becoming weird in my extended absence. So now I don't have to worry about anything other than my usual concerns: my atrophying brain and my mounting credit card debt!

And sure enough I lost four of the five days I was supposed to work last week. This week, so far, I have nothing on the schedule, but obviously that will probably change. Also, I did find a menial low paying job listed in today's paper and I emailed them immediately and have already heard back. However, the response was more discouraging than encouraging: a simple: the job pays $10 an hour with no benefits. So, I have responded saying that this is fine, as I suppose in order to work I must sacrifice my lofty aspirations of making up to $13 per hour. But if I got it, I'd have flexibility, a steady paycheck, and perhaps even some time off to sub, if I were still inclined. And I would be keeping my skills sharp. At least, at that rate of pay, I hope I would. So stay tuned. And tomorrow is a new Help Wanted section.

Of course, I am steaming about the whole situation surrounding the job I didn't get and how rude of them to put me through so much and not even have the decency to reject me in an email. It does make me a little relieved not to work with such people. I didn't like the way I was always told that I'd be notified by Friday and then had to go through the weekend, only to get called back twice after giving up hope. And I didn't understand how all of the people I was introduced to fit into the organization, there were so many of them who all seemed to do marketing and PR types of jobs. I am sad not to have gotten it, but also probably relieved that now the decision is not mine. I would tell people, if I don't like it, I can just leave. But I knew that the reality of doing that would be much more difficult if I had had to imply 100% commitment in order to get the job.

Anyway, the snow is here. It's looking quite pretty outside and who knows how many more of these blizzards we'll endure before spring comes for real, if it ever does. But the roads at least are clear and it's a little sunny out. But what will it do to the basement when it all melts? That's the question.

And in other news, because our church somehow never digs out of snowstorms efficiently, they have canceled the overnight activity in which Brian was supposed to participate, and rescheduled it for the weekend that we'll be in Florida. So now Brian can't participate, it is a requirement for his confirmation, and the priest (our resigning one) has not emailed me back with his thoughts on this conflict. I'm not too happy about all of this. They planned it for months - and then canceled because they couldn't plow the walkways by 5pm? The whole rest of the world was in business by 2. But we just drove by and it's still not plowed. I don't know what that means for services tonight and tomorrow! Anyway, though, tonight, Megan's and Brian's schools are playing each other for the conference championship in basketball. We're going to drive them down there, and possibly stay and watch too, although I imagine it's going to be packed.

No comments: