Thursday, February 4, 2010

batten down the hatches

Not looking good for the meet on Saturday, not looking good at all. I went to bed with a ray of hope that the storm track would stay to the south, but this morning that hope was shattered, and this afternoon any remaining dregs of hope were removed when I saw snow totals for Friday night quoted at up to a foot. So there is no way they'll be clearing the roads or anything like that in time for Saturday. I'm suspecting even the boys won't swim on Sunday, as it's only supposed to be 29 degrees, and the pool is probably 30 miles south of us, where the snowfall is supposed to be even greater.

And me with my cupboards bare. I'll have to hit up the grocery store on my way home, probably along with everyone else in the entire town! My sickness has made me inefficient, although I am happy to report a recovery, albeit a slow one.

So this morning I had my half day job at the new school. It was actually quite a nice day, I was in a special ed class, and then in a preschool which integrated special ed with regular ed. They even let me go at 11:30 because the meetings were over and I had stuffed their mailboxes for them in the office. And tomorrow afternoon I have a half day in computers. I wonder if the snow will have amounted to anything by the time the school day ends. Brian has off so I don't have to worry about him, except we have to drop off the cookies we (I) just made, at some point in the morning. Although, unfortunately, this snow could be devastating to the school's art show fundraiser, which features a Friday night reception and two days of the artists peddling their wares.

Following this, I came home to let the dogs out. They were in the basement because the cleaning ladies were here, but for some reason this banishment totally distresses Molly. I almost didn't make her stay today but when I opened the door, she was heading back down so I just shut it again. One time she puked, so I assumed she had had a seizure. This time, I couldn't find her! My giant dog was gone! But the little one, when I let him out of his pen, ran right over to a wet spot on the rug which I determined to be dog pee! So she had peed, and now she was missing! I searched high and low, ran through the whole house imagining the cleaning ladies had let her upstairs and didn't know how to get her back down, and then checked the yard. Wilbur was not telling me anything.

Finally, I was just about to call them and say, "WHERE IS MY DOG?!" even though I assumed they would have told me if something had happened to her (this was giving me flashbacks to the lawn guys and the missing azalea) but I decided to try one last plea to Wilbur - "Wilbur! Show me where Molly is" And he did. He ran into the guest bedroom, stopped in front of the desk, and ran in circles. And there, indeed, curled into a ball and nestled between a sleeping bag and a deflated air mattress, under the desk, was Molly. Alive.

Holy cow.

I think from now on I'll just put Wilbur in the basement.

And so in other news, Megan is at practice but has a meet at 8pm. Kevin is going to pick her up and bring her something to eat on the way to the pool and I plan to run into Brian's teachers' conference night for half an hour, then head down to the pool myself. Now that I have to be late to the last meet(next Wednesday) and this weekend one probably won't happen, I want to try to get to the ones I can! I missed the last one because of the mock trial thing and who knows - if I have a JOB, I may have to miss a whole lot more! And yes, I had the third interview. I got the same story. I'll hear tomorrow from him (which is "by the end of the week.") So maybe the third time will be a charm, and I really will hear. I'm quite busy next week though so if I did end up having the offer, I don't know when I'd start ... probably two more weeks, which would give me one to get my act together for a life of no more leisure! Scary!

No comments: