Thursday, February 25, 2010

here we snow again!

It's snowing. And last night, my job for today was canceled. That means that I'm now down 3 days in a row when I thought I had three days of work. And tomorrow is looking like a no-go day too, if noaa.gov is right about this weather. But last night, I got a message on my cell phone, an email from the sub system, a notification on my page on the sub system, and three phone calls home, all canceling the job today, which had nothing to do with the weather.

Thinking I might pick up a morning at least, I logged into the system this morning and job after job appeared and was taken. But in concert with the flow of job postings was the rate of falling snow. I worried if I took a full day and the district called for early dismissal, how would Megan get home from her bus stop 1/4 of a mile away on unplowed roads with already-unshoveled sidewalks? Maybe someone would give her a ride, but what about Brian? I checked his school's website and it was announced that they will be getting out at 1:10. So I already was cut off from afternoon work, even WITH early dismissal (which is 1:30 for elementary schools).

After I dropped Megan off, having noticed on the way home that I could feel something under the tires that hadn't been there on the way over, I checked the public school site. Another early dismissal announced. It's coming down good and hard now, and it's only 7:38. I thought of calling the para sub caller, but now I need to be out by noon, and feel that's asking too much. So I'll stay in and do laundry. And go buy milk and bread. Kevin took the train in. We'll see what happens. The last storm, he stayed home. This time, he might have to stay in the city! And I don't know how to start the snowblower!

But at least we got good news from the neurologist. As I posted on his carepage, Brian passed all the neuro exams and we found out that his MRI was fine although not initially read as so by the radiologist. I've encountered radiologist/neurologist discrepancies in the past, and I prefer to believe the opinion of the latter, so I NEVER look at what the radiologist has said unless I am forced to do so. But the doctor was so mad that he made her revise her report to the happier reading.

Of course we know that all of these things can change at any time, but it's been five years with mostly positive news on every scan. He promises with more force than usual that we won't have to re-scan in 2010. But I know although he says this, if he feels a need, he'll order it anyway. Even though he contrasted his promise of this year to last year's, when it was qualified with, "I reserve the right to change my mind." Which he did. Thanks to those legs on the swing test!

In other news, Wilbur is now booked into the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm for our two upcoming swim meets. Molly will stay with the Doll, hopefully without incident or event. She mostly lies around all day anyway, and she seems very at home at the Doll's house. The first meet starts March 12 in PA and then the big on is April 7 in Florida. Although I don't know how they will do if they never get to practice, with all of this snow! I wonder what he'll do about that tonight and tomorrow? And on that note here is Brian. Time for Round 2 of school drop-offs in the snow. I always love dropping off at the prep school. The boys get out of their cars and open various other doors, trunks, hatchbacks, and just take their time, not a care in the world. In the public school, they're practically thrown out of the moving cars, mine included.

No comments: