Tuesday, February 9, 2010

waiting games

Still I wait. I wait for snow. I wait for Megan's SAT scores. I wait for the swim meet to finally take place this weekend. I wait for jobs to post on the automated system. I wait for Megan to come home from school. I wait for Brian to text me for a ride. I wait for my crops to grow in Farmville. But most of all, I wait to be rejected by The Job, or not. I'm finding it quite demoralizing to have to be going through this, after feeling almost certain that I was in last week. Now I am wondering, what could I have done wrong?

Was it that I chose the wrong time to ask the honest question about flexibility (hypothetical of course, and if they bothered to check the references that they asked for twice, they would know that I am reliable and dependable in a workplace!)? Was it that I had taken too much sudafed in the days prior to the final interview so that I made no sense and gave poor responses to their questions? Or did they find some other aspect of me to be offensive, at that late stage of the process?

At any rate, I thought I'd know today at the latest (well, I thought this yesterday, because all weekend I thought I'd know yesterday at the latest.) Of course, if the higher-ups have demanded additional candidates for comparison's sake, then perhaps I am not out just yet, and if I were I would hope I would have been told? Or perhaps they have all been felled by a mysterious calamity that has prevented them from moving forward as soon as they had hoped.

Either way, the waiting .. sucks.

And to add salt to my wounds, the job(s) that I had lined up for the end of the week may not happen either, due to the snow. The friend I am filling in for will not have to leave when she thought and she still isn't sure what she is doing! And of course, we don't know if we will have one snow day or two (though one seems fairly certain) so Thursday is up in the air for that reason, and Friday because she doesn't know when she will leave for the rescheduled event - which has been moved back a few days. (a college conference swim meet)

So I had some bright prospects a few days ago and now my hopes are fading, as is my checkbook balance. Oh, and Megan was coughing half the night again. Only this time, it was worse. I had to get up and make her tea, and even that didn't help. It becomes a party when I have to get up in the night, my fans all follow me in and start a fray in whatever room I set up camp. Last night it was Wilbur, Puff, and Rusty.

I was thinking of taking her to the doctor this afternoon just in case, because what if she gets worse right in the middle of the storm? But I decided not to, and refilled her steroid nasal spray and picked up some Claritin D and we will start with that. This was really only the first day of it - the other coughing was caused by the pool air. Which can't be helping this one either. At least she has tomorrow off, snow or no snow. I took her in a little late to school (something in which those of us unemployed folks are always able to indulge our children) and will see how she is when she gets home in about twenty minutes.

In other news, I met with a woman who does the newsletter for Brian's school and I'll take that over from her for next year. But that will be pretty simple. Apparently you don't write a thing. Just assemble, and then make sure all approve, and then post it to the web. I'm quite sure I can handle that. And unlike all the others, this job is just mine for the asking! On that note, I see a few high clouds beginning to roll in. It was almost balmy today, so hard to believe what they are telling us about the weather! But I think I will go out and put some bird feeders around. It's going to be hard for them to find the seed under two layers of snow cover!

No comments: