Friday, June 6, 2008

A Trip Down Pseudomeningocele Lane

It's hot outside! I did waste some of the later part of the school day, browsing one of my favorite nurseries and buying very few new plants. I guess I am reaching the point of saturation, plus we are considering a very costly redesign of the plantings in front of the house. We are paying $300 just for the architect's drawing.

So I am sitting in the air conditioning, and was surfing through some sites I haven't seen in a while. As Megan has had headaches two days in a row now, I googled 'chiari headache'; since Brian never really had these, I didn't know where exactly they hurt. Megan's headaches are between her eyes, so possibly another sinus issue. The first approach will be to treat her again with the Claritin-D. I think the mold spores are up now that the tree pollens are down. Anyway, I digress. I happened upon the following article: http://www.conquerchiari.org/subs%20only/Volume%206/Issue%206(3)/Autologous%20Duraplasty%206(3).asp.

I read through it, and was surprised to see the name of Brian's neurosurgeon. I read the article a couple of times, it is a little confusing, and then I read the tables on the right. The doctors have reviewed 50+ cases done over ten years of which 40 had duraplasty with their own cranial tissue; 24 of these also had a syrinx. I wonder if Brian is one of those 40? Because here is the thing: they assess the post-operative complications, and say that the cases were followed for eleven months.

I just found an abstract of the article and it must be Brian. Here is a quote from the abstract: "There was an overall morbidity rate of 2.5% due to one pseudomeningocele treated with a single percutaneous tap."

But back to the study. They list the possible complications of opening the dura (duraplasty) and only report that they had one case of ANY complication: pseudomeningocele! Well. Was that Brian? It has to be - is it really possible that he is the ONLY patient of this doctor ever to develop this symptom? Wouldn't that just figure.

Anyway, I feel like Brian is famous. Haha. I guess I'll go sit by the pool and read my book now. That is what I was doing, but, as invariably happens in Burbtopia, a ride-on lawnmower appeared out of the idyllic silence, and started up on the lawn right across the street. He should be done by now.

In other news, apparently the attorney is responding to our concerns on the missing documentation of our home's previous owner. She blamed it, of course, on her former secretary, and said that the title policy was erroneously packed away in storage. So she has to dig through storage and find out what all is really going on. Who knows how long that will take, but it better not be a year!!! Megan is taking the Biology SATs tomorrow, and she has barely cracked a book to study. She is going to stay home from swimming tonight and pore through the College Board sample test, and look over her text. Then the test is tomorrow morning at 8. Obviously, no word on Fresh Air or exchange student, so that can't be a good thing on the latter. I am feeling so resentful towards our school district. But I guess they have other things on their minds, what with their party prom bus being arrested and the rowdy uprising at the last board meeting, over failure to complete a turf project at the other high school. I am going to send the assistant superintendent an email after I hear from the rep, and am sure that he really didn't get back to her. I hope it isn't that they don't want to work with that agency...

Oh, and a new problem arises. Brian will not swim in our pool, after the Chipmunk Ball ended in such tragedy. Incidentally, once they were fished out, so too was a mouse, from the skimmer. It must have been quite an evening.

No comments: