Monday, June 9, 2008

Stop the Insanity

So we still await response from the district office. I am somewhat at my wits' end and about ready to throw in the towel, but that would be admitting defeat and giving in to the bureaucrats. I had emailed the assistant superintendent on Friday, assuming he'd see it this morning and maybe get back to me. He must have checked in last night, because he sent me a quick note telling me he had given it all to the no-call-back woman.

So again, at a standstill. I emailed him back and thanked him, but mentioned that unfortunately, she is the one who has not returned our calls for nearly a month. He replied again that he would speak to her today. I am finding this whole experience disheartening. Incidentally, I have not seen either of my kids' state test scores either, which is her supposed function, and the reason for her inattention. And I stand behind my allegation that if she is that busy, she shouldn't be leaving at 4. Too busy to even call back and let us know what the delay is? So I sent her another email and explained that if she is not going to allow this, we need to know, so we can release this student and allow her to find a tolerant and cooperative school, one that perhaps appreciates the fact that its residents pay $12,000 a year in taxes for less services than neighboring districts provide. (I did not use these exact words, but I did realize too late that I had addressed her majesty as 'Ms.' instead of 'Dr.'. I suppose that is another strike against us.)

I am just becoming more and more disgruntled. If I don't hear something today, I will contact that board member that I kept running into. She is the one who told me the board has agreed that they support these programs, and would like to see more of it. It's making me more and more regret that when we sold our house, we didn't buy a new one in an entirely different school district!

Anyway, that's that. I ignored a sub call this morning so I could get some things done. I have so far filled and started the dishwasher, gone for a walk, and walked Molly. I have just gotten out of the shower and need to pay some bills. Then I will run some errands. Meanwhile, in other news, Brian's dreaded chorus concert scheduled for tonight has been cancelled due to the heat wave. It is now scheduled for Thursday night, when Kevin will be unable to attend. This will be our last one ever, since Brian isn't going to do chorus next year because he dislikes it almost as much as I dislike going to these concerts. In order to get a good parking spot (meaning one that will not trap you in the lot for an hour once the concert has ended) and to get a seat, you must arrive an hour or more ahead of time, and then just sit in the gym. Then it becomes increasingly crowded, and tempers start to flare. Finally, by the time the concert begins, there are people lined up in the doorways and, probably, out in the hall where they can't even see. The concert itself is fine, they do a reasonably nice job. But we've watched it for four years in a row now, twice a year, and enough is just enough. At least last year, Megan was in the elite singing group and had a few extra roles. There are about 200 kids in the chorus, it's just absolutely insane.

No comments: