Thursday, June 5, 2008

Davy Jones' Locker

So a few blogs back I was detailing my dramatic rescue of the little chipmunk from the jaws of the Wren. I saw the little thing scurrying across the deck a couple of days later, and have managed to keep Wren inside, except for one little slip-up the other afternoon, after which Buddy also got out and remained at large for several hours.

Well, today I had a half day to work in a resource room at a different elementary school. I came home and sorted through email and various other timewasting activities. Finally, I decided it was time to check out the yard, see what is blooming and what's sprouting up since last I checked (I'm awaiting the reemergence of the hardy hibiscus from last year; one started weeks ago, but the three smaller ones have shown no signs of life, until today. I think I saw small bumps emerging from the wood sticking out of the ground!!! I hope so, because these are my red ones, and I love them.)

Anyway, Molly was out with me, as always, and we were walking around after Megan came home. I suddenly remembered a shadowy shape I had seen earlier from the bathroom window. :-O Sure enough, there, in Davy Jones' locker, laid my beloved little rescuee. I was sad. I took a moment and studied the little thing, lying there still as if he were asleep, with his eyes closed and his little paws hanging in front of him as if he were saying, "No, Davy, No! Give me back to the jaws of the Wren!" With a heavy heart, I turned away, walking around the deep end of the pool. Shock! Horror! Strife! There again, in Davy Jones' OTHER locker ... was a relative of my small ex-friend. So, it is a sad day for the chipmunks.

Other than that, the Mets have now lost their playoff berth. They actually won the second game, so they lost the first, and then won the second, which obviously entitled them to play a third, which was Tuesday. The other team had one of the best pitchers in the division, and they had whooped us in the regular season game. I didn't expect much, and headed out to watch the game. When I got there ten minutes late, it was already the bottom of the second inning. Brian was on third, but I didn't know how he had gotten there. (I later learned he had gotten a double!) He did not score. At the end of that inning, the score remained 0-0. And it just got better - throughout the beginning of the game, it remained scoreless for several innings, until the Mets took a 2-0 lead.However, their opponents were not to be outdone, and quickly regained their status, and scored two runs of their own for a score of 2-2. Normally the little league games are six innings long. In the bottom of the TENTH inning, the Mets season drew to a close. It was very exciting, though, and a well played game by all. And now that other team has to go on to the next level, which means playing Saturday, in 90 degree heat.

In other news, nothing on the exchange student or fresh air fund STILL. The rep from the agency did call the other day to say that she had spoken to the secretary of the assistant superintendent, so we are awaiting his return call. She said she'd give him till Friday (now, tomorrow) and try him again. I will email him myself if he doesn't get her an answer by the end of the day. I am getting so tired of this, as I may have mentioned. I had Kevin speak to the guy who runs the baseball camp, I was starting to envision the fresh air people calling me the night before, that week, and sending me some little boy who really wanted to be in the camp, and then having the camp be filled. This is a very nice man, thankfully, and he is really great with the kids, too. He is actually a (haha) comedian in his spare time, so he just keeps the camp moving along. He was also very open to the idea of the camper, and said, sure! just remind me right before, if he comes. So that is one thing off my mind. I still don't know if we haven't gotten an assignment because of the confusion regarding the camp, or if we just have not come up on the list yet. And now, I am off to the orthodontist. Megan has just come home with a headache - wonderful.

No comments: