Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Crazy Weather!

This is a crazy week - storms, sun, hot, cool, humid, dry. It never stays one way for long! This morning at the beach, it seemed like it was going to be a postcard-perfect day, but then at around 1, our skies opened up. It was raining so hard that the street couldn't even accommodate all the water and it was running like a river. Now it's all gone and the sun is shining brightly.

Megan is babysitting next door again, so we didn't get to stay at the beach. It may not have even rained there, although there was a huge blob moving across the radar. I'm trying to decide how to spend my time, and that is how I seem to have spent most of it!

Brian has put me into a near panic by complaining of neck pain. He said it started to hurt him yesterday, while he was swimming in the practice. Of course, my blood runs cold and my heart beats out of my chest when he has these complaints. Invariably he produces some new complaint each July, so I can begin to panic for our August doctor's appointment. This year, of course, we have no MRI scheduled, and I would *really* like for there NOT to be one. I am just not up for it. I think it's time for a break. So I am making him lay low. I gave him some motrin, and he didn't go to practice today anyway because he had to get his teeth cleaned.

Anyway, that is it. Life is quite boring and slow right now. I need to get all the humdrum daily chores caught up before we go away on July 6; and I am still trying to decide how to best furnish the guest bedroom, and what to do with the computer set-up and rolltop desk. I am now leaning towards leaving the desk, and getting a smaller one for the computer in the family room. Then we can move back in there when E leaves; just in case we never do this again, I don't want to completely rearrange our lives permanently. After all, we do have the guest room in the basement. I just can't stick her there, it wouldn't be right.

I keep finding things on online sites, and then I wish it were possible to see them in person. I wanted to drive up to Ikea today, but then Brian mumbled and grumbled. Tomorrow, maybe I won't give him a choice. I can't go alone, the packages are huge, and you need someone to wait with your things while you go get the car anyway. Plus, it is a long ride of about 40 minutes. I also found a nice Captain's Bed for pretty cheap at an online store, and they have a showroom in NJ, but it's in Newark. And then I'd have to get a mattress, too. And there is also the option of dismantling Brian's bunk and putting one bed in the guest room. That's currently my second choice, to buying a cheap bed from Ikea and sticking a twin mattress on it.

I also want to get new carpet for Brian's room (his stinks) and he needs a new dresser (his drawers don't slide properly). But I don't know where to go to get it, and then the bed will have to be dismantled anyway, to get it out of the room, and that would be the perfect time to put the other half as the guest bed. So all of these things are intertwined. Buying the new carpet will be like opening a can of worms.

So, in other news, report cards will be mailed out on Friday. The board meeting where we expect approval for E is tomorrow night, so maybe the blog will be a little more interesting after that. I put together a card and a little photo essay and sent it along to C in the Bronx, so he can see our house, pool, beach, and the race track. I also enclosed the church portrait we had done. I hope I don't get a call in a few days saying he's changed his mind!

No comments: