Monday, June 2, 2008

Going Out with a Bang

It's a hit! Brian got a hit! And it was a good one, too. He got to first easily, and not because someone made an error. Brian has a terrible tendency to stand there and wait out the pitches, praying for walks. It's a strategy that has worked for him in the past, but I have also heard kids make fun of him for it, and it does get old quickly. However, he successfully applied this strategy in his first at-bat of the day.

The Knights were getting creamed by the other team, and Brian was up for a second time, in the bottom of the 6th with one out. We were down by, I believe, 8 runs. I always cringe when I see him come up, because when the walk-waiting strategy fails, the result is usually, "STRIKE THREE!". The coach who stands and runs a loud mouth commentary in front of the fans, he's their first base coach, started in, "come on Brian, let me see you swing, let's go out hitting, come on Brian, this is yours..." So my stomach went to knots again. I hate for Brian to just stand there like that.

The first pitch came in high, so that was a ball. Then he got a called strike. Finally, it kicked in. He swing, and fouled off two of them. One more pitch, and it actually cracked! His hits often thwack, but they don't often crack, and this one did. It went right between third base and shortstop, and the third baseman couldn't get to it in time - so it went out to left field before making its way back to the infield, and he had plenty of time to trot to first. Very exciting.

But then he was left on second; and that was the end of the game!

Otherwise (in other news) we had the Doll over for a BBQ dinner last night, since the house was already clean. Her days of employment are drawing to a close, since her employer will be closing up shop in three weeks. She loved the job, and the discount, but now that they have reduced everything by 70%, the clientele are, as she puts it, " a lower class of people". Rather than acting as personal shopper, she is more of a gopher and dressing-room cleaner, running all the clothes that people have left in piles back to the racks for the next rampage. She even wears a back brace to work now! So I am off to work for the next three days. Hopefully they will be good ones. I know I have my little special ed friends tomorrow, but today and Wednesday I must 'float', so I never know what the day holds in store. All I do know is that it usually means small blocks of time in each class, as long as the meetings are well booked throughout the entire day. If not, I am stuck with lots of down time. Finally, maybe some exchange student news today, let's hope. The agency rep will call the district this afternoon. Also nothing from Fresh Air, and it's beginning to get troublesome. I would like to know which week we will be hosting, if in fact we get anyone at all! And my other source of irritation is the YMCA National board. They still have not posted the qualifying times for the 2009 meet in Florida, although they said they would have them no later than June 1. (disclaimer: post not proofread - must go shower)

No comments: