Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Many Things are Happening!

So this afternoon, as I was playing with photobucket, I suddenly noticed that there was an email in my gmail! I looked and it was from Dr. NoCallBack!!! Of course, gmail freezes on my desktop so I had to hold my breath while I waited for it to open. All that it was was a quick note saying, thank you for your patience, and if you will review the attached and forward to my office I will submit it for board approval.

I opened the attached document, and all that was was a list of procedures apparently set forth for handling foreign exchange students in the schools, written a year ago. Some of this we have already provided, but they are asking for a few other things as well. The area rep has now also gotten involved, but she misunderstood the 'request by' date of June 19 to be the date of the voting meeting, which is in fact not until July. There are two main issues: permission from the Principal (shouldn't be a problem, I don't think) and approval of the board (I don't think this will be either, but one never knows). I'm going to email the board woman that I spoke to and just let her know that I did hear back at last, and to expect this to come up at their July meeting. I wish I could have spoken to the regional rep, she is really on the ball at all times, and makes me feel more confident that things are going smoothly. The other woman is very nice and helpful, as I said, but does not exude experience and confidence. She is the one we will deal with the entire year; but I think she will be fine for that. This is just something she never had to handle before.

So I don't know if this constitutes a verbal OK or not, but I guess I will find out about that later on tonight, when area speaks to regional. I'm still not sure the process is in confident hands, which makes us seem a little unprepared, but hopefully not enough to make a difference. I think we're on a learning curve in more ways than one. Had we had this list a month ago, we could have put it all together and sent them exactly what they needed, instead of a bunch of random information. They got more than they needed, and they're probably appalled at having to sort through it all.

So, more later. I don't know if it can be a verbal OK without the principal's permission, but he is the one who referred us to the others in the first place. So, stay tuned. They want the girl to sign the school handbook, and they can't very well ask her to do that without telling her what school it is. Also, she has the right to refuse us; so it isn't fair to ask her to commit to a school without knowing with whom she will live.

In other news, the church fair began last night and Megan wants to go there after swimming. I must get down and figure out what's for dinner, since it took me over an hour to upload the photos for the below slideshow, and then to have some back-and-forths with the exchange student issues. And tonight, I must call C!

No comments: