Monday, June 16, 2008

A Handle on the Pulse

The blood pressure monitor arrived! It is my latest toy. I am no longer afraid I am a high blood pressure candidate although I will continue to monitor, and to try to lose ten pounds. The first reading I got was a little high - 128/75 - but the pulse was 92!!! I was afraid of myself! I took a couple more readings, a few minutes apart, and as the pulse came down, so did the BP. By the final reading, it was under 120/80 and the pulse was 78.

Megan asked me to take hers. Her pulse was low, of course, somewhere in the 50s and she had the BP to match. I had had a glass of chardonnay, which I had read can raise your blood pressure, so I was not sure what to expect. Well. My pulse was 66 and the bp was 117/70-something. Hah. The secret must be that I have to schedule all my doctor's appointments after Happy Hour.

So one mystery is solved: Megan emailed the woman from the special ed program and she is, in fact, accepted. So she will be working in the special ed classes for the summer on MWF from 8:30-12:30. That's really OK. It leaves us the entire afternoon for activities and leaves her with much less idle time. Now we just have to wait to see to which class she has been assigned.

Otherwise, the package from the exchange student agency will go out in the morning, and Dr. NoCallBack will have it on her desk by Wednesday at noon. I'll let my board President neighbor know so she can be on the lookout for it, and she will go and thumb through to try to ensure that it gets on the agenda by the 25th. And so we should have no news before then as far as that goes, but once the 25th rolls around, we will know for absolute certain if we are approved.

In other news, it's the last week of school, I spent the day with my kindergarten friends and we had a lovely time. Tonight I convinced Megan not to go to swim practice, she has her algebra and Spanish finals tomorrow, her worst day, and it's a late night for swimming tonight. Also, we were expecting violent rains. I hear the pool was closed at 7, but the storm had pretty much blown through here by the time that they were supposed to have gotten in the pool. I had Wren at the vet today for her rabies shot and he said she looks good. I was a little concerned she had gotten thin, but she was half a pound heavier than last year, so she must just be thin compared to the rest of the tub-o-lards we have around here. She was not happy with the whole experience. She managed to get herself under the towel I had put for her to sit on, and when the tech came out to call her, the receptionist said, "Wren's not here."

No comments: