Monday, June 8, 2009

waiting, waiting

The washer repair man is coming today. And so, the washer is working. E threw in a load of clothes on Saturday and I managed to get it clean after the washer stalled several times during the process. Since then, it has worked without incident. The repairman called this morning and said he will be here between 11 and 2, and I told him it's working again but he said that was fine, he can still diagnose it. I just want it to work, but I'm afraid to cancel him and have it conk out again.

So he will probably arrive right at noon, because I am planning to order tickets to the Bruce concert for the October 9. I already have my ticketmaster account all signed in and up to date, but the tickets will go quickly. I had Kevin on the job when the other concerts went on sale and I had to work, and he failed, perhaps by design. Since it's a Friday night, I'm going to try for four tickets, even though they may be $98 apiece plus the robber baron fees. I'll call it my anniversary present.

No word yet on the Explorer, but it should be getting repaired this week, and should cost us $800 and no more. I'm not going to be able to drive the Honda for a month to bring the mileage back down after all this driving without the backup vehicle!

This weekend was a whirlwind as always. Saturday morning Megan had practice down at the beach, so I took her and that was my entire morning. Brian wanted to go to a party in the afternoon and we were having James and the Doll over, along with James' new girlfriend (!) so we had to run around getting ready for that, too. It was a very nice dinner after all, but I wish I had had more time (in good weather) to prepare. Everything was wet outside, and the house was a mess inside as well! I managed to somewhat pull it together, but never is it totally presentable.

Yesterday was the river swim in Rumson. Megan registered for the 1.2 mile, but then switched to the 2.4; and the results got all messed up. As it stands right now, I think she finished 19th out of all the swimmers, perhaps a few hundred. I think she was the fourth 19-and under female finisher. But they still have her in the results with an incorrect time, so she is way down there. Consult Facebook for photos.

Brian had what may have been his final baseball game yesterday, and they tied. Which is better than losing, and also the first time they have not lost, in the two years he's been on the team! The team never had practice, and they had no team spirit at all. With that being their last game, they just all went their separate ways as they did at every other game. So, onward and upward. Maybe he can play intramural sports in high school. Today he and Kevin are at the father/son golf outing. Brian had to go in to school first, because he had to prove to his music teacher that he had completed an assignment and turned it in. He didn't have the original, of course, being Brian, it was in his locker and that was too much of a mess to search, so he just reprinted those sections. Although he still needed to search the locker. So I guess I'll hear later on how that turned out.

Anyway, in other news, I got some very bad news yesterday. Brian's former piano teacher, and the music teacher from the elementary school, died yesterday! He was 50 years old. I know he had had a stent placed a year or two ago but I thought he was in good health. I know his job was a bit stressful with all the performances he coordinates at the end of each year, but he seemed unaffected by all that. In fact, other teachers even laughed at how they would be suffering from panic attacks at the kids' behaviors, and this guy would just be singing away, while playing his piano. He was a really nice guy, a bit disorganized but really cared about the kids. Strangely, Brian was playing the piano for James and the Doll on Saturday, which is something he hasn't done in months. Then I went out to get Megan and kept thinking I saw things moving in the shadows, and had a very creepy feeling while I was out at night. Then the next day, I got the message from his daughter on my cell phone. The services will be Wednesday and Thursday. We'll probably just go to the wake and leave the funeral for close friends and family. Very sad news.

No comments: