Friday, June 19, 2009

the backyard pool is safe!

Megan passed her lifeguarding class! That was eight long weeks of torture! But in the end, he passed them all, despite his threats to possibly not do so. Of course, she has no lifeguarding job, but if she picks one up towards the end of the summer, she can at least get a little experience and a little pay (hopefully) and even if not, this way she won't have to tie up eight long weeks for five hours at a time when she's getting ready for SATs and finals for her junior year classes, which will be the ones the colleges will be looking at. So, that's done.

In PuppyLand, things are crazy! He is so cute but he IS a puppy! Both Megan and E let him out of his crate yesterday without taking him directly outside, then failed to supervise him, and he peed on the family room rug. This morning I took him out and he peed. I brought him in and went up to get his crate so he could go into it for breakfast, and he followed me up (his new skill) and went straight to Brian's room to dump! I snatched him up with just one turd deposited, and put him outside, where he just sat down and looked at me. So, some setbacks.

I think I have confused him. I tried teaching him to sit, because I finally got some pupperoni that I felt like he could have for a training treat. He learned sit really quickly, but then when I took him out and told him to "hurry up" (his bathroom command), he sat! He also very much enjoys the pupperoni and seems to feel that he should be entitled to it 'just because.' And this morning, I had him out back, and he discovered another trick: he can fit through the fence! So he has to be watched very closely. He was out running around on the other side!

But he did sleep through the night, and all the cats seem to have accepted him. They all showed up for breakfast this morning, and Puff even came to me and purred in the middle of the night, after practically no Puff sightings at all in two days. Then she ate some of her breakfast before retreating to her cave under the couch.

Speaking of the backyard, apparently Kevin called the lawn guy and told him not to come again, he is also mad because they always unplug the pump from the pool cover and disconnect the drainage hoses and never put them back. They also pull the little solar lights out and leave them lying on the ground. But the guy hasn't returned my call, inquiring as the fate of my azalea. I am just astounded that they would do that! But now we have nobody to cut the grass, and with all this rain, it's reaching for the sky. I did go by one of my favorite garden centers and they still had the $10 azaleas, last year's unpurchased shrubs that have been growing in their pots for a year. So we can put that one in the hole, and hopefully with a good season of care, it can look almost as good as its ill-fated predecessor.

In other news, Kevin is on his way back from Denmark, E is preparing to celebrate her last weekend in NJ, Duke (or TomTom the PomPom) is sleeping on the floor, and Megan is in the midst of finals. The washer is still not working, and neither is our kitchen light. It's as if we have a poltergeist in the house. But the good news is that the sun is shining, although it may not continue to do so for long!

No comments: