Thursday, June 4, 2009

it's raining in more ways than one

And it is. It rains every day now, at some time or other. That's really OK with me, because we need the rain anyway, and the plants get watered, and it isn't really summer yet anyway so everyone is in school. Today, since I'm not working, I don't have to worry about being trapped in a classroom for indoor recess with kids who really think school ended when they turned their calendars to June. So that's a good thing.

And today should be the day when I hear from Ford, hopefully soon will get the truck back. We dropped it off there two weeks ago tonight. I'm sure the thing reeks worse than ever, but I don't even care! I am prepared to attack it with a sponge, a vacuum, and a bottle of enzymatic cleaner. Which I will need to buy anyway.

A cat has decided to pee on the laundry. I think it's probably Buddy and he's probably mad because the litterboxes smell so bad. The reason they smell so bad is because I had to suddenly change their cat food. As I think I posted, I went to buy a new bag only to find that the bag they had been eating for the past month had been recalled for errors in formulation. No wonder it took them so long to eat it, but their cat poop didn't smell as bad when they ate that one! So they like this new one better, I guess, or else they can just tell it hasn't been poisoned. They gobble it all up and then go stink up the litterboxes, forcing those who take offense to seek alternate venues for elimination.

I had emailed Nutro when I first found out, because I can't return an empty bag for a refund, and I don't feel like it anyway, for $10. They emailed me back and they want me to call them. They pride themselves in their products, and would like to discuss the matter with me in more detail. I will make that call today. Maybe I can at least get a bag of the good stuff when they figure out how to make it without poisoning the cats of America.

So that was in the laundry room. And I put the peed on clothes in the washer and pushed the start button. And nothing happened. So I tried again. It beeped at me, but it wouldn't start. I walked away and it hollered for me to come back. "F70!!!" it screamed in red letters. F70? I had seen F71 but as best I could tell, that meant, turn me off and back on again, and I'll work. Not so this time. After a short time of grappling on the internet and then a phone call to the service number, I managed to get it started again. The woman transferred me to warranty, saying that I should get the warranty now, while it is working, because that way if it really goes bad, I won't have to pay.

This obviously makes sense, within reason. I spoke to the guy and it's something like $400 for two years and $600 for three. This is for the washer AND the dryer, the latter of which has yet to cause trouble. We've had these two pricey models since November 2007. A year and a half, and the most expensive appliances we've ever purchased, the top of the line Kenmore Elites, are conking out. I told the guy I would call back, and hunted online a little more. After reading this: http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/product-review-sears-kenmore-elite-washer/page-2/ I have pretty much decided to just shell out the $600 for three years. I don't think I can go through what she describes, and it's true: the same complaint is all over the internet. And now, I am worried about my dryer!

In other news, I had hoped to get to the gym this morning, but now I'll probably just stay home and try to get organized. Sometimes that can be a workout anyway. I have clothes to transfer from down to up, and up to down, as well as clothes to gather for the Lupus Foundation, who picks up a load tomorrow morning. Saturday is James' 40th birthday, and the Doll will be 75 next Friday. We were expecting to go out for dinner, but they suggested a BBQ would be better for all, so that means I have to dress up the house for the occasion. More running around for today, and my cupboards are bare. We were scraping the backs of the pantry and refrigerator for dinner and snacks yesterday! E will probably welcome her home and the availability of her kind of food by the time the next couple of weeks go by! The turn of the calendar page seems to have pushed me as well into summer, and my don't-want-to-cook mode.

No comments: