Tuesday, June 2, 2009

debacle debriefing

I think the planets are misaligned again. First planes are falling out of the sky, and of course, I HATE that, and yes, after I have waited 15 years to take another transatlantic flight and look at this. I hope they can figure out what happened, not that it helps those who were onboard or their families much. I read that some of them were sending texts to family members! I remember being thrown about on that little plane to Florida in April and wondering how these bolts and screws can stand up against mother nature. Maybe sometimes, they can't.

Anyway, today I was back for more work. The first grade class from yesterday, the one I expected to be so bad, was so good. Today I had the opposite experience. I thought the class would behave and they just would not stop talking! And there are a couple of real issues with some kids, they just don't conform at all. In a room full of 23 6- and 7-year olds, conformity is really an important component.

Then I had a fourth grade class and they had to rush through a science experiment in about 20 minutes. They were actually pretty good about it, but the directions were vague (like it said, read them the highlighted parts in the book, and the book was closed, so I had to hunt to see which part that meant) But I managed to get out alive. Tomorrow I was supposed to only have a half day, but they called and asked me to stay the afternoon for a fifth grade teacher. But I do know summer is coming. My baby birds tell me so. They're chirping away, not a thought to their poor rejected deceased sibling.

And the Explorer news: Kevin finally heard from the new service manager, and he is allegedly going to fix the car for $800. The warranty, which was 5 years, 75,000 miles, expired in either January or 4,000 miles ago, not sure which. Of course it's had the problem for longer than that, but nobody bothered to diagnose it until it was going to cost me money. But $800 is not as bad as we had expected, especially considering the estimate was already up to $1800 before they axed their entire service staff. So he is supposed to call Kevin back in a couple of days. I am actually beginning to miss that stinky thing. I'm getting tired of putting around in a go-kart everywhere I drive.

But in other news, the Phillies emailed me with the makeup date for the May 3 game, and I am not happy. It's going to be Sunday, September 13 at 8:05 pm!!! Not only will the old folks not be able to stay up that late (heh heh) but the kids will have school and Kevin will have work! So I don't think that's going to work out. If I want to exchange them for another game, it has to be done in person! So I'll have to give that some thought. E has only limited weekends between now and the time she leaves, and already many of the days are spoken for. But I'll study the schedule later on. Now I must go check on my grilling. And then head out for the mother's club meeting. ::gasp:: (disclaimer: post not proofread!!)

No comments: