Tuesday, June 23, 2009

last day of school

Hard to believe it has finally arrived. Brian's last day of middle school and hopefully his last day in the public school system, if he is back it will mean that the other school didn't work out. E's last day in our school. Megan's chemistry final (ack). And my last day of peace and quiet! (haha) But it's only a half day and I plan to load up the car with four laundry baskets, two hampers, a jumbo laundry bag, a dry cleaning bag, a trash bag, and a large grocery bag full of dirty clothes and take them to a laundromat. I'm scared.

The guy came yesterday to fix the washer. He didn't seem like he really knew what was going on with it, but after a phone consultation, he told me that he has to order a part and he has to schedule his return visit for more than ten business days from yesterday, not including yesterday. So I am stuck, it's ridiculous. $1500 for a washer/dryer and you can't even use it a year and a half later. After it's all fixed I'll try sending them the bill for the laundry, but I doubt it will matter. How do you even prove how many quarters you have put in anyway?

The dog is working out pretty well, all things considered, like sleep. He is very good about settling down when he is put into his "room," although I try not to abuse that behavior. I have taken to keeping him on his leash whenever he is loose in the house so that he won't go sniffing around on carpets or eating every little piece of plastic or power cord that he finds. At night he sleeps from 10:30 till the alarm goes off, which unfortunately with Kevin is 5am, not that Kevin gets up at 5, but Duke and I do. Yes, his name is Duke. It stuck after that first day. I call him pompom, and he likes that, but Duke is his name when he isn't behaving, or when anyone else is talking to him. And he loves his walks! when he runs, he looks like a bunny rabbit. Molly is starting to nudge for more attention, but most of the time she just lies around as usual. And all of the cats are almost totally adjusted, except for Puff, but even she is getting better.

Kevin is off to Kansas for the night, so I would say we'd get some sleep, but Megan starts her morning swim practices tomorrow, so, so much for that. She has to be there around 6 in the morning. And this weather is not conducive to outdoor practices in unheated pools! She starts her swim team volunteering tonight and tomorrow, and then she starts at the school and the hospital the week after 4th of July. She will work one day a week in the volunteer office, and one day in physical therapy. So that will be good, will give her an idea if that is really something she wants to pursue in school. I also found out that the PT programs often require experience of about 80-100 hours, paid or unpaid, working in a PT setting. And the teacher that she is assigned to work with at the school is also the district autism coordinator, so that will give her something else to learn about this summer.

As for E, she continues to push the curfew back a few minutes, and is frantically trying to make plans for fun times for her last THREE (yes,folks,3) nights here! Although she was invited to a sleepover on the last night, she wisely declined, and invited some girls here instead, to help her pack. However, she is just not packed AT ALL right now. Her room looks like a Godawful mess. I can't even believe she will have it all ready to go by Friday morning. This is basically the way she has been with everything all year though, so why should I be surprised?

And in other news, I am trying to figure out how I can get a job and earn a little extra money. I'm really concerned about how the automated sub calling system is going affect the amount of days I am able to work, if it's really competitive to select jobs, then how do you ever get them unless you can sit there on the computer all day long? Teachers can request a "favorite five" but even then I am still in competition with four other people who want to work, assuming I even make anyone's "top five" or an administrator's top-whatever (they have unlimited favorites). If you are not on a favorite list, I don't know how you ever even get jobs. Better be worried about those jobs that actually make it out for grabs, because there are so many levels they seem to go through before they become available for general acceptance.

Otherwise, things are fairly mellow. The summer will bring with it all that it usually does, swim team trips, the slew of doctor visits and school forms to be filled in, the beach, and summer reading. The added bonus this year of the trip to London gives me TMJ at night, after watching the news about swine flu, AF 447, the pilot who died midflight, and now North Korea and their nuclear war antics. And the latest on Air France didn't help - the Bolivian news that reported the photos from the last minutes of the breakup, which of course turned out to be just an episode of Lost which was most helpful in giving me a visual that I can keep in my mind for the entire 8 hours on that British Air plane. Oh right, forgot to mention. We picked the airline that has asked its employees to work for free.

No comments: