Monday, September 15, 2008

Uneventful MRI

Well, I do hope that the results will go as uneventfully as the MRI. We did get there a little later than they had requested, but we were there well in time for the 4pm start time. They didn't take Brian in until about 4:15 or maybe later (I forgot to check) but they were out around 5:10. No major mishaps, and no idea what they saw. Surely the techs can't tell anyway, because we know the syrinx is likely still there, and the brain sits lower than normal. But it's only the comparisons to last year that matter, and the techs probably don't have that ability. So now I wait.

A couple of years ago I had the MRI done after the visit, and didn't see the neurologist until February, and he never called me. That was one of the years when we were still seeing the surgeon, so I knew everything was still OK, because he read the films for us. I don't know if I don't call the neurologist this time, if he will call me with results. I am tempted not to call! But then I will just be in an absolute panic in February, or sooner if he happens to call this week without my preemptive inquiry.

Anyway, it was all OK. I left some meatballs in the crockpot, and also some salad, and we were home a little after 5:30. I got a parking spot on the first go-round in the hospital lot, and I finished the crossword (with just a *little* help from the receptionist), the word sleuth, the jumble, and the cryptogram. Then I watched John McCain talk about how strong our economy still is while I listened to the numbers coming out of Wall Street and thought thankfully I don't work there anymore! Although most of the people I used to work for and/or with are no longer under investment banks. Most have branched out on their own as independent investment management companies.

And in other news, Brian is enjoying being back on the swim team, although it is tough for him trying to keep up at times. He claims he is going to wake up tomorrow and go for a run, in a further effort to bolster endurance and pulmonary capacity. I guess his cold is better, but now E has come down with one! Today (as you see from the slideshow above) is our 18th wedding anniversary. As I sat and watched the little TV at the hospital while I waited, I thought about where I had been 18 years ago that moment, at the Panorama Club, without a trace of knowledge of chiari malformation, syrinx, or even what an MRI entailed. It's hard to connect my life to that one, so much has happened between then and now. I will resist the temptation to say "those were the days" in the hopes that there are still even better days to come!

1 comment: