Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday Night

I don't know what "hot as the dickens" really means, but I'm pretty sure that's how hot it was today. We started off the day at church, and E accompanied us. It was a slightly different service than usual, because there was no sermon, instead there was a joint-effort presentation by a few of the 'pilgrims' who made the trip to England in early July, the trip on which we chose NOT to send Megan, for various reasons.

I listened carefully to everything that they all said, weeded through all the "amazings" and "awesomes" to try to hear what they were really saying and if these were true emotions. I think that they did have a good time and that some got more out of it than others. One thing that struck me was how 13 of them went on the trip; four were chosen to speak, and I think I saw maybe two or three others in attendance to show their support. After church came the church picnic. Admittedly, due to it being hot as the dickens, many had an excuse to stay away. But still. Only TWO of the pilgrims were at the picnic. So I wasn't really sure that that convinced me that they had really formed the strong familial bond, of which they spoke, during their travels.

Anyway, I have to decide if I am sending Brian on this trip in two years, if in fact they take the same trip again and I just really don't have any idea what I will do. Of course, my immediate concern will be tomorrow's MRI, but assuming ::knock wood:: that all is well with that, I will have to begin to consider this trip...there was talk of some physically challenging hikes and walks, but otherwise, there was a lot of prayer and a lot of church-visiting. Which brought to mind Brian's comment, which was met with some agreement from his dad, when he found out he was being taken to church today: "It's torture." Is this a kid who wants to take a two-week tour of all the churchs in Northern England? Well, I am not so sure. We didn't make up our mind with Megan until the second year anyway. Also, they're talking about maybe changing the trip. So stay tuned to this space for further updates.

But enough about that - did anyone see Saturday Night Live last night? I specifically wanted to see Michael Phelps' performance, and made sure I tried to stay awake. The opening skit was quite funny, particularly "Sarah Palin" although I had a hard time seeing "Hilary" in her portrayer. I didn't find Michael Phelps to be very comfortable on camera or very funny in his skits, at least those I saw before I fell asleep (which happened when he appeared in full orthodontic headgear) but as I read in one blog - would you rather be the greatest Olympian or the greatest SNL host - so I guess that about sums up his performance. And some of that has to be blamed on the writers. I'm sorry I missed the part at the end where they made fun of his diet. That must have been a little funny.

Anyway, in other news, I will have my first day of work tomorrow, just a half day, and then we have to get Brian down to the MRI. After the MRI he has swimming, which he can't really miss because he's trying to build his endurance. Megan also has swimming, she does have a ride there, but I may just drive her since I am also driving Brian. Or maybe just get Brian a ride there as well. That might work. Oh my goodness. It makes my head spin.

No comments: