Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hanna Who?

The next time I get 27 phone calls about a rainstorm, I'm disconnecting the phone. As I suspected, Hanna blew through our town with nothing more than some downed tree twigs, as far as I could tell. Even the "high winds" didn't seem to make it to our neck of the woods. From the news reports, I see that there was some flooding, but I don't think they expected much along the Jersey Shore up here, one reporter said the storm hit mainly during low tide at the beach.

So we wake to a lovely sunny day. I think I will probably not go to church today, in favor of getting the house ready for our BBQ today at 4. Kevin is already outside readying the pool. Yesterday Brian and I did a little running around, then picked up E who had had a sleepover with her first outside friend. She had an interesting week at school, just has a couple of classes to sort some things out with, and also her lunch dilemma; because as I expected kids are coming out of the woodwork and wanting to be her friend. She seems taken aback by the social impact of the lunch period. I think she's finding that to be her hardest class!

Megan has liked all of her classes so far, with the exception of one of her teachers, who has been teaching for many years and may have grown a little stale. Brian seems happy as well, he has all "good" teachers this year. Will that translate into good grades for him? I don't know. He also has an elective, which this year is drama in the first half and art in the second half of the year. The class is full of characters, and I know he will enjoy it, but I hope he will be able to manage his own behavior in that group.

In other news, I took Molly to the vet yesterday for the lump on her paw. He squeezed it, and it is a cyst, but not worth removing unless it bothers her, he said he couldn't do it with a local because they are too hard to get out. So she's having an antibiotic, hopefully it's just some inflammation and infection that set in because she had the itchy paw and was chewing. That part at least seems to have improved. He also drew some blood to make sure she is OK (she pants a lot even indoors), so I should get those results tomorrow. And so we enter the first full week of school, which also ends with the start of swimming. Of course, Brian already has two conflicts the first week of swimming. He has the orthodontist on Wednesday and baseball on Friday. Just lovely.

No comments: