Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Picking up the Pace

The school year is kicking off for real now. I got my first call from the sub caller last night. Alas, she informed me that it may well be my last call from her as well. She and her two associates have all resigned from this assignment, due to changes and complex requirements that were imposed on them for not much compensation. That has to be a terribly stressful job anyway, having to fill all the openings of all the absent teachers every day of every month. They make calls until late at night and start again at 5:45 am. And then they go to their regular jobs.

So I am working Friday and Monday mornings, and all day on the 23rd. I'll be happy to see the paychecks, but I'll be even happier when they start to fill in a little more. The end of summer is always hardest, coming off of birthdays, vacations, and end-of-summer party mode. By Christmas I usually recover, and then spend it all all over again.

I still have not heard from Useless Sir Guidance (hereforth known as USG). I have been emailing Brian's teachers at a rate of one per day, because it exhausts me to repeat myself, but I don't want to send them all the same impersonal note. I was waiting on USG, but since he never deigned to call me, I decided to make the science teacher my email of the day for yesterday. I explained a little about Brian's condition, and then said that I hoped the binder he was using for math and science would be ok. She wrote back: "his binder is fine. And if you feel it is a burden, we can work something out."

Huh? What happened to the two inch dedicated binder, and Brian's permission to show up late for his Spanish class so he could put that binder back in his locker? First of all, I know Brian would never have done that. The last thing he wants to do is draw MORE attention to the fact that he is different and weaker than the other students. Second, WHY was it such an argument on the phone with USG that I had to get myself all upset, and still not have heard back, when in actuality, the teacher is perfectly willing to work with us? What is the point?

Anyway, I have met a few people in response to my post on the forum, of course I had to discount the half dozen or so suggestions that I get Brian a rolling backpack, but most have come through with good thoughts and words of encouragement. It's really important for Brian to do well this year, because he didn't do so well last year. If he is going to go to a different high school for a fresh start, he is going to have to have a good first marking period. If he is not,, and he is going to the public school, he is still going to need to do well, in order to be placed in the highest level of classes possible. Honors won't be an option freshman year, but he can perhaps work towards that. But I certainly won't stand for anything below the next level down, which is called "college prep."

In other news, the weather is lovely and is forecast to remain that way through tomorrow. The girls at HS South will be happy about that, as they have picture day this week. Megan's is today, and E's is tomorrow. It always helps when picture day is a good hair day. Brian starts his swim team practices today, but he has to go to the orthodontist first. Megan starts tomorrow. And so begins my life of taxi driving!! I have already researched crock pot recipes. In fact, I think I need to start one cooking right now. :-)

No comments: