Monday, September 8, 2008

My World, in Brief

It was bound to happen, things have been going too smoothly. I'm not enjoying today. I seem to have run up against the same stumbling blocks at the school with Brian. It continues to boggle my mind that teachers all must think theirs is the only class students are taking. I was trying to get Brian's accommodations to include a caveat that he should be able to organize his classwork in a way more conducive to his understanding (due to his scatterbrainedness) and to reduce the load of his books (due to his syrinx and chiari). This just isn't really going well, and I am once again beating my head against a brick wall.

I emailed the guidance counselor, and he called me back. His solution is that Brian should get another binder, a 2" binder (which ends up being closer to 3" thick, because the measurement refers to the circumference of the metal rings within.) This is in addition to two existing 1" binders and a 3-subject notebook. In order to reduce the burden, Brian is allowed to stop at his locker after science, and leave the book there. But, I pointed out, he will still have to carry all of these binders home!! I just honestly think these people don't get it. As I do every time, I have appealed to my support groups for suggestions. And if anyone suggests that I get Brian a rolling backpack, I'm throwing the computer out the window.

So now Megan is home. Alone. I guess E is rearranging some classes. I texted her but got no reply. I wonder if I should go up to the school and wait there, or just wait for a call? I don't want to leave her there alone, but if she wants to handle it independently, I also don't want to step on her feet. The problem has been that since things are taught differently "over there" it was difficult to figure out at which level she might need to be. And whether it was a question of honors vs. non-honors (I think not) or of changing to a different level of class; staying in honors (I believe this might be best). Our math goes Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, PreCalc (which can be taken together) and then Calculus. They just have "math" and it's all mixed up. I did tell her if she ever needed to go to guidance, that would be fine. She should just call me and I would come to get her. I am just hoping she has a more effective guidance experience than I had today.

And these are my musings for the day. In other news, Molly is not chewing on herself now that she is on an antibiotic, so that is good. I must find the positive and focus on that. I also bought some chicken to make for dinner tonight, although I also considered pasta. I was in such a funk while I was out, after having spoken to the guidance counselor. I remember last year why I finally gave up and just rode out the year. But that didn't have such a good result either, so I'm going to have to find another way.

No comments: