Thursday, April 30, 2009

the pig is in town

No, folks. It is not I. The latest reports out of NJ include a 43 year old Monmouth County woman who has been one of the first cases of pigflu in the state. Unclear whether she is recently back from California or Mexico, but yes, one or the other. So, is it a matter of time? Great fear in the schools, not so much of the sickness itself, but of the school being closed down during a state testing week.

I got home from work to no surprising news, yet all sorts of sensationalist reports. Peope are also saying they have seen doctors for respiratory illnesses only to be told they would be sicker if they had swine flu. I thought swine flu in the US was mild. Know what I think? I think the media should SHUT UP. They tell us too much nonsense and not enough of any significance. Oh, what's that? Because THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING SIGNIFICANT? Oh yeah. That's right.

So anyway, today was math olympics at school. The day flew by, and the latest on the father of the teacher I am in for is that he seemed to be rallying as of this morning. I didn't speak to her, but other teachers did. So as long as he continues to hang in there, she will return. Otherwise, I may be in for her into next week.

Brian is supposed to take the Spanish placement test for high school on Monday at 3, but if I have to work i won't be able to get him there. If it comes to that, I'm just going to call the school and tell them I have to work and he can't get there before 3:15. Then he'll have to walk himself there, if 3:15 is OK, otherwise, I don't really care if he doesn't take the test, he can repeat Spanish 1. At least that might make part of the year a little easier. I bet their Spanish 1 is harder than what he's had in two years of Spanish in the public middle school anyway.

Speaking of the public middle school, I just noticed that they have scheduled their graduation for two days AFTER the last day of school. Hello? Why would they do that? In fact, I am pretty sure that he has an orthodontist appointment that day, because I was so sure that he would be out of school by then. And his school has the middle time of the three this year, which means we will hit traffic on the way in AND on the way out of the college parking lot.

But I don't mean to be a chronic complainer. Tonight is Megan's first lifeguarding class. In school today, she discovered that she actually knows someone in her class. There are only 12 people in the course, but this is a kid who only lives around the corner from us, she doesn't really know him well since she only met him in middle school, but they had discussed lifesaving classes, and today he asked if she ever got into one, and they found out they're both in the same one. I texted her earlier and asked how it was going, and she wrote back, "not horrible."

So that was good. It's a seven week class, but I think what bothers her the most is that she has to miss practice for it, and her coach isn't happy, of course. But he isn't too bad about lifesaving conflicts, and she can go one day of the weekend and do a swimming workout if she feels like she is beginning to atrophy too much. Better to get it done this year than next, when everything she does will be scrutinized by potential college recruiters, and she can't afford to be tied up with frivolity that takes her away from her studies.

Anyway, in other news, Brian has one day remaining on the NJ state testing. He said the math today was "ridiculously easy," which always causes me to shake in my shoes. He described some of his essay responses to me yesterday, too, so I guess I'll just have to wait a few more weeks to see what the evaluators thought of his skills and knowledge. Sigh. Not that any of it matters now. What really matters from now on will be what happens when he gets to high school. Right now he is at baseball practice, although he won't be able to make Sunday's game since we'll be watching the Phillies and the Mets.

No comments: