Tuesday, April 21, 2009

blip on the radar

Well, I think I know why they don't recommend having students leave the country and then return to their hosts. I think we have had better days in our home. I mentioned the visit to NYC, well E decided to stay out until 10:15 that night. I told her she was self-centered, and she retreated to her room. I said to her that I cannot do this - she has been doing things like not telling me she is going to stay after school and then accepting rides home from random people, including a teacher, and then she stayed out way later than I would have liked for her to stay that night. By coincidence, last night, the agency rep called.

After I spoke to her, she spoke to E, and I called back today because I got an inkling that E's been complaining to her friends about us. The rep asked if I would feel better if she were moved to another family. I do want to say that this rep is less then ideal, she only calls when she has to and really doesn't have her finger on the pulse of this or any situation. I explain my side and she is understanding, but then who knows what her real thoughts are. I asked if she'd drive down and talk to us all together, and she will, but it has to wait until the weekend. Helpful - not. If we have to go on like this till the weekend, I think the house may self-destruct.

So that's where I am now, seriously considering offering her that option. She doesn't like my rules, there are tensions with Megan, and obviously if she were able to stay with one of her friends, she'd be able to go and do the things she wants to, like attending the parties that I don't let her go to, and staying out late after prom. I guess I'll have to broach the subject, though, because she is dealing with it by locking herself in her room with her schoolbooks. We've been through this before and worked through it, but I am tired of having the same issues come up again and again and again. It's an issue of consideration and courtesy. But perhaps I am too overbearing, and someone else will be less so.

If it does come to that, I will feel very sorry that what I had intended to be a good experience for everyone will have ended in failure. But two more months with a sullen teenager who thinks I am unfair and unreasonable isn't the way to live either (got a couple of those already!!!). My main concern is that our image is being tarnished by her friends hearing only her own version. Which is why, perhaps, it's best to set her free. I feel like the more rules I impose (such as let me know what time you will need a ride home, and if you don't need a ride, let me know what time you will BE home; or don't come home too late from NYC; or don't go to parties that will potentially be busted up by authorities) the more unhappy she becomes. In the past, I have hesitated to post about any negative experiences, but this time I just feel like I've about reached the end of my rope on this. It's an investment of our cost, time, and privacy, and when someone is speaking poorly of us in the community, then I think maybe it's time to cut the losses.

Anyway, there's been a break in the weather today and at least it isn't raining. We had some wild storms last night, and I think more are coming tomorrow, but after that the weather should be almost summerlike! We have the banquet on Sunday, and once that's over, hopefully my funk will lift.

In other news, report cards arrive on Tuesday. That's always a day I both anticipate and dread four times each year. I have no idea what to expect with Brian! Megan is having dinner tonight with the Doll, and Brian has the orthodontist tomorrow. All of a sudden, his teeth have started to fall out like crazy. He lost two in the last few weeks, and there are a couple more that are loose and planning their escape. I knew this would happen, though. When a mouth holds onto teeth for this long, they're just bound to break down sooner or later!

No comments: