Saturday, April 25, 2009

in the good ole summertime

It's going to be 85 degrees today! As soon as I finish this blog update, I am going to shower, and drive myself 40 minutes across the county, to my favorite summer plant source, Gasko's. Every summer I must make one pilgrimage there in early spring to get the motherload of plants for the summer yard. Their prices are so reasonable, although the shrubs tend to be very small so it takes a couple of years for them to grow to normal sizes. I'm excited to see how last year's crop is going to do this year, now that the weather has finally warmed up.

This past week was so hectic, and as of now I have no days of work lined up for next week, although this is the time of year when all of a sudden there's a greater need for substitutes. Yesterday there were so many subs all over the building that they seemed to almost outnumber the regular teachers and aides, and they were even short on subs and using support teachers to cover classes. And then after school, I had to make good on my promise to take E for one visit to Freehold to look for the elusive prom dresses.

She ended up bringing a friend along, which added to my driving, but actually was beneficial because the friend suggested a little hole-in-the-wall dress store that had a woman who bullied E with just the right amount of pressure to force her into a decision. She gave her two dresses for 50% off each, even though they weren't in the group that was supposed to be on sale, just to finally force her to make a decision and buy something.

So she now has two dresses, one for each prom, and I believe they are not even returnable, so that even if her mom gets so mad about the amount of money she spent (a lot even with the discount!), she'll have no choice but to let her keep them! Now she needs shoes, and one of the dresses needs a little alteration, but otherwise, she is good for the prom in two weeks now.

This weekend is the 30 hour famine at church, so Brian is there now. He spent the night in a cardboard box on the church's courtyard lawn. I have to make ziti for the 'break fast' meal at dinnertime tonight, and then he'll come home. Tomorrow we have the swim banquet. The books have been delivered, and of course as soon as I looked at them, I noticed mistakes that I should have picked up but in my crazy rush just to get them done, my brain read what I thought was there. Which was the year. I left 2008 on the front cover, and put the wrong date with the right year on the inside front page. Maybe nobody will notice. I hope so! Otherwise I think they looked OK, considering what I went through with the crashing computer. The book is 158 pages long this year.

The latest on Trip Quest is that I am leaning towards London. Now that I found out how short the train ride is to Paris, I'm wondering if a day trip there is actually a possibility. Or, as Kevin suggested, we could leave two days earlier and just spend one day somewhere else, like Barcelona, and just fly out from there. I'm trying to think how to travel light, though - too many different types of cities won't fit well with that plan. But I think I can get the cheapest fares to London of all the cities, except perhaps Paris. I'll have to make some sort of decision this weekend.

Anyway, in other news, last night Megan went out with some friends and had a good time, which was nice because she never gets to do that, and, alas, that was her last Friday night for a while again. She would be able to miss swimming on Fridays from time to time in spring, but now that she'll have the lifesaving class on Thursdays, she won't really have that option unless it's for a really good reason. Her school is in mourning, because just two weeks after losing a student to heroin abuse, they have now lost a sophomore to cancer. She knew him only briefly, because she had just met him when he was diagnosed last fall, and he's only been back to school a handful of times since. It's very sad.

No comments: