Sunday, April 19, 2009

summer wuz here ...

...but now I think it's gone again. The last two days were absolutely beautiful, especially yesterday. We spent the day (after Brian's failed baseball practice, where his team was kicked off the fields because the town guards their baseball fields like a junkyard dog guards scraps) at a communion in Princeton. Well, actually, we couldn't even make it to the church, because of said failed baseball, but we got there for the lunch. So that was kind of quiet, but then we came home and puttered around in the waning hours of daylight.

I am so relieved to have that ad book done, but it's creeping into my thoughts every moment. I did find out that one ad was left out, because I didn't know it had been sent in, but there isn't anything I can do about it now. Next year I am just going to have to ask for copies of every page that gets turned in. I tried asking people to email me their ads, but only about half seemed able to comply, and the others are the ones who fall through the cracks (well, aside from the dozen or so emails that I mentioned last time, that seemed to get lost in cyberspace). So I'm worried about others of these that I might find out about when I get to the banquet next weekend.

Anyway, today is a troublesome day. Brian is responsible for snack in his church class, which starts at 9. So before 9, I have to go out and gather berries for the 15 or so participants to eat during their one hour class. After this class, I have to drive him to East Brunswick for a baseball game, because Kevin will be at HIS softball game. E plans a trip into NYC with a couple of boys she knows from school. She thinks she may find a prom dress in the East Village (this should be interesting) on this trip. Her shop-a-holic nature is in overdrive now, with the prom only two weeks away and her dress-less despite the myriad of shopping trips and the thousands of dollars she has spent on couture, both during her visit with us and her brief furlow back home.

But once the morning is over there isn't much that MUST be done other than the usual laundry, shopping, and prep for the upcoming week, which involves a lot of work days. My friend's son is supposed to be playing lacrosse nearby, so we may go over there and watch him play in a game or two, depending on what we have planned for dinner and how cold it gets and whether or not it rains. Also, Megan has a chemistry test - TEST - tomorrow, and despite the 100% she got on her last quiz, her average is still lower than my comfort zone.

In other news, Megan is now enrolled in a lifeguarding class that will start next Thursday and run for about nine weeks. She hasn't really thought her life through for the summer, I don't think she understands she is older and so are her friends, and that most of them will be working this summer anyway. I think she envisions herself lazing at the beach day after day. I'm going to call the Doll and see if she knows anyone down at the pool in her complex - that would be a perfect first job for her, one of her friends worked there last summer; and if I couldn't get there to pick her up, she could always walk to the Doll's and hang out there. Also, I have started keeping my eyes open for clothes for Brian for school in the fall. He has to wear khaki pants and dress shirts, with belts, ties, and good shoes. It's so hard to find things that fit him well, because he falls somewhere in between boys and mens sizes. I found some Polo khakis at Marshall's for $12 but they're pleated front. They look pretty good, but I don't know if that's the wrong style. I guess I'll find out.

No comments: