Monday, October 13, 2008

Weekend Update

This was a fast weekend! The busy ones don't last long enough, and Kevin was off today, making the weekend a three day one for him, anyway. Also for me, because I never work. So I kind of have a 365 day weekend since we got this new sub caller.

So on Thursday I cut my pinky on a garden trimmer. I was pruning a shrub that looked like Sigmund the Sea Monster, and my little finger got in the way. I panicked, because of course there was dirt, and there was rust, on the trimmers, but I ran in and squeezed it to get it bleeding, then washed it out with soap and water and put some antibiotic ointment on it. It looked like a little papercut, but I was alarmed by it nonetheless because of its source. I managed to ascertain that it's been over 30 years since my last recorded tetanus booster, so I set myself off on a flurry of internet tetanus research. What I was able to learn is that tetanus is a very rare, but very awful illness that most often strikes older people who have allowed their vaccine series to wear off, at least in the developed world.

So began the quandary of what to do - get the shot? Don't get the shot? I called the doctor who said I would probably be OK because I had washed it out right away, but that I could have one if I wanted. So I decided I'd go today. But then when I thought about it, I didn't want my arm to hurt for a week, and I worried about degenerative neurological reactions. So in the end, I have still put it off, at least till tomorrow, and maybe beyond. the cut has healed to the point where it can barely be seen already. One study that I read recommended that all adults be vaccinated one time in adulthood at the age of 50, rather than every ten years. apparently the initial interval was every year, then every five, and now it is every ten. I wish they would just run titers instead of randomly vaccinating people. I guess the drug companies make more money on vaccines than on lab testing. Or maybe there is no titer. What do I know? I just don't want a shot. Not that I want tetanus. I think I'll stay out of the garden.

Oh, the weekend. Right. Brian played well in his baseball game, they lost 10-8. I had to go sell some food for the national team at the Y before the meet, so I didn't see the game at all. Brian swam well for himself, although he panicked about having to do a 100 yard backstroke, and they switched him down to a 50, although there is no such event at his age. Megan won the freestyle and says she got third place in the backstroke, but I thought her backstroke looked a little ::er:: choppy. But it was a good day, just a LONG meet. It felt like it might never end, but at least it did. Then Megan and E (who had stayed home because she had a lot of work piled up) went to a concert with some of Megan's beach club friends.

Yesterday we rode in the bike ride down at Sandy Hook, which was fun. It was a beautiful day, and we ended up there from 9 until nealy 2. Again, E stayed home. We ended up riding ten miles even though the route was 8; it just didn't feel like enough, and we weren't ready to turn around. We didn't win any of the many prizes, but there are a couple of good photos of Brian on the website (and a few awful ones of me! Holy cow).

(look at DSC#3593 through 3597 and DSC-3810) http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/gallery.jsp?gid=768a5498ce7d6c03d877

This is the link to ALL the photos. The first few are in album #3 and the last one is album #6. I can't link to the individual photos. But I can add my own - I'll do that next. (done :-) )

After we got back, Kevin and I took Molly to a nearby county park so she could swim in the lake. She encountered some fishing lines, some kayaks, and a horse. Also a crazy old man who gave her a tennis ball and then called Kevin a fool for throwing it over her head so she couldn't get to it, because she was tethered by her leash. Finally we let her off, and she had a great time swimming. She needed a good bath when she got home.

And that's about it. In other news, progress reports should really come this week. Brian is overscheduled this week, which I don't like, but he'll have to miss an activity here and there to manage it. There's another open house later in the week. Well, I must go because E is having a very bad headache and I have to make sure it isn't something other than tension.

disclaimer ... post not proofread ...

No comments: