Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wednesday Non-News

Well, life has returned to the mundane, for now. Of course I watch with anxiety as the financial drama unfolds, and I worry a little about Kevin's bank, but so far they seem to be weathering the storm. I remember back in the 90s when things got rough and they restructured and cut jobs and slashed departments, they put Kevin in the back office working in customer service, then brought him back up when things got better. So we'll see. Since as far as I know (I'm sure he will correct me) they're not into commercial banking (whatever that is nowadays) in the US, they should have limited exposure. But as it trickles down and affects all the markets, I'm sure that will have to change in some way. I set them up on a google alert just to be on the safe side. :-)

I listened to John McCain talk about stabilizing housing values and selfishly thought, that better not happen! When we just paid what at the time seemed a good deal, but now seems to have been top dollar, for this house two years ago, (and I suspect it is worth slightly less than even that 'bargain' price) we can't afford for it to stabilize below what we paid for it! But at least I did manage to stay awake for most of last night's debate. I did doze off briefly, but roused myself and paid closer attention. I wish it had been Sarah Palin instead of John the troll. She is much more fun to watch.

Anyway, speaking of unemployment, *I* remain unemployed, despite my phone call to the sub caller last week. Do I have to call every day and every night? Sigh. I didn't mind having a couple of days off to recoup from the migraine, and today I have plans for lunch (although I could have switched these around) but tomorrow there is no school, so the only possible work day this week is Friday, and I'm pretty sure teachers are discouraged from taking that one off. I'm trying to think of other ways to gain employment, but right now I need such flexibility that there isn't much I can take on.

So yesterday Brian stayed home sick from school. Well, not stayed home, but laid the groundwork for it, and came home at 10. He said he was dizzy with a headache, stomachache, and sore throat. One thing I noted was that he was not shaky, which is normally how he gets when he has a stomach upset. So I think he was just exhausted and needed a 'mental health day'. Of course, he fell asleep the second John McCain opened his mouth and uttered his lullaby responses.

Otherwise, all is quiet. Kevin was in Toronto yesterday and for the first time I can remember, got home with no storm-related delays. He has a few big trips coming up, too: Finland, Norway, and, of course: Disney World. Heh. In other news, progress reports are due to arrive in mailboxes today. Anxiously looking forward to that. I'm not sure what to do about E's, though. It's for the parents, but I will feel intrusive opening hers. Hmm. I'll have to think about that one. Also regarding school, I have been thinking of having Brian tested, to see if he has any sort of overlooked learning disability. I wish I had fought harder back when he was in fifth grade for the school to test him, but I didn't. I got through to one recommended neuropsychologist, and she charges $250 per hour, with an estimation of $3,500 total cost!!! No, thank you. Brian can surely pull his act together for less than that. I'd rather spend that money on tutors, if needed. On the other hand, there's a lucrative career for those in the position to choose. I'll have to point that out to Megan, who has announced she is interested in taking the AP Psychology class within the next two years.

No comments: