Monday, October 27, 2008

Unlucky Monday

At least it is if you're Brian. I was at work, and the phone was making sounds like they were trying to call the room, but they never said anything. A few minutes later they beeped in and asked me to pick up. When I did, they told me the middle school nurse had called. Turns out Brian "fell" and hit his head on the wall at school, hard enough that he now claims amnesia directly surrounding the incident. He remembers walking, and he remembers getting up. But he doesn't seem to understand why he fell. Falling over someone's foot seems very suspicious to me. Especially for someone who came home from school and put up his hood to find that a criminal had put a wad of gum in it, and their prank had been successful, and the gum had entangled itself in his hair. I worked on it for half an hour, and managed to get it all out with barely any hair loss, so the villains won't know of their success.

(Phillies score one!)

So I am at a loss as to how to proceed. Do I let it go and assume it was truly an accident, or do I contact the school and let them know that I am unsure of the circumstances surrounding the fall? Did someone think it would be funny to trip him up, but then feel bad when he fell harder than they expected? I know middle school is an awful, horrible place, but this is just ridiculous. Is it coincidence that this would happen on the day before they are set to visit the public high school for their tour? I think someone tries to send a message to me, this is what it must be.

Anyway, my day was OK. The kids are cute and one of my most favorite students in the entire school is in the class. The day goes so fast because there is just so much to be done, and there are a few aides and a resource teacher in and out of the room throughout the day so I never have to wonder what is going on for long. And by the end of Wednesday, hopefully I will have it down to a science. Just in time to be done :-) Another teacher asked me if I can work for her Monday, Wednesday, and the following Monday, which are the next three school days for our district. We're off Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and then the next Tuesday as well. So maybe I will be able to foot the food bills after all.

(Phillies score another!!!)

Otherwise, nothing of excitement to report. The only other news is that Halloween is Friday and Megan and Brian have no idea what they will be. E has an ever-evolving costume, which ranged from a 20's girl to various pop icons of the 20s through today, set partially in motion by the discovery of an old dress I let her try on, complete with shoulder pads. That created a costume idea, which she has since recreated to include everything BUT the dress. But she may be the only one with anywhere to go anyway. Megan will have practice, and I just don't know what Brian has in mind. Now I am off to the Phillies.

No comments: