Wednesday, October 29, 2008

False Alarm

So I have written about our hyperreactive smoke detector before, I believe. And tonight, it struck again. Brian was in the shower (of course it would be Brian) and when he came out, again the alarm sounded. This is the first time with Kevin being home, so of course he flew into dork mode and snapped at all of us. I tried to reset the alarm from the keypad, and he tried to push the button on the ceiling. In my panic, I did the automatic keycode and hit .. the wrong button. The big red one that says 'FIRE' in it. :-/ But we were able to cut it off, and told the ADT folks that all was well.

I sat down to finish some surfing, when all of a sudden some flashing lights flew past the window. (Note to self: invest in reflective house numbers ASAP) I ran outside to avert further embarassment but it was too late. So, two huge fire trucks, several pick-axe wielding fireman and two police officers later, our excitement has died down. I guess that because this time it took us longer to shut down the alarm, ADT had to call in the fire alarm.

Meanwhile, I can almost feel sorry for Tampa Bay and that area roughly between first and second base that seems to be cursed for them. But of course, the night is young. I'm just glad the Phillies get to be up four times to Tampa Bay's three. A one run lead is not much of a cushion. (Edit: a tie is no cushion at all, I don't feel sorry for anyone anymore)

In other news, my three days of full day working are over. I am working tomorrow, now only in the afternoon, and I have been called to work Friday morning as well, but at a different school. Which is OK. I am ready for a break! Sometimes it's hard to go to the same school so many days in a row. People start making comments like, "well, you're a regular fixture here" or "you might as well take up permanent residence" which sort of serves simply to remind me that I DON'T really work there.

Otherwise, Brian seems to be still doing well following his alleged blackout after his fall the other day. After I spoke to the pediatrician, I did check with the neurologist and both said that he will be OK, even if he has had a concussion, so just to watch him and keep him out of contact sports for three weeks. He doesn't have gym this marking period, so that won't be a problem anyway. I am still concerned that nobody knows or seems to care what happened or why he fell. The only witnesses were kids, and nobody is asking them what happened, and if Brian knows, he ain't tellin'

No comments: