Saturday, October 25, 2008

Lucky 13

We have a birthday in the house today! It's Molly's 13th birthday, although she seems unaware of her advancing age. I got her an edible Nylabone, which I made her take outside because it smelled so bad, and also a stuffed chipmunk, so she can feel like she is keeping up with the cats. I took her for a long walk and then brushed her. Now she is asleep on the rug under Kevin's feet.

We split up for two swim meets today, the girls won 110-108 and the boys won 109-108. Megan swam OK, not too exciting for her, being a distance freestyle swimmer, the shorter events at the dual meets are not her best, nor are the stroke events. The shortest freestyle race in this meet was 100 yards, and she swam it and came in third. Not a big deal, she looked fine. Just a little boring as a spectator! Later in the season the race will turn to a 200 and that will be better for her. But the meet itself was exciting. We had a couple of ties, and some of the relays were so close that the screaming was deafening. That's when the meets are really fun to watch.

So my career is picking up a little. I worked my scheduled half days on Wednesday and Friday but also was called in for Thursday, and that teacher called me at home yesterday to see if I would work for her Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday all day. The only problem was that she was trying to call in to the sub line, and she was having trouble getting through to the voice mailbox. So she was going to keep trying and is supposed to get back to me before the end of the weekend. But that would be helpful, three full days in a row. Megan doesn't have spinning this week, so I don't have to be back to drive to swimming until 4:30 instead of 2:55.

I am a little over in my spending, and I can't believe how much things cost these days. At Target today, I noticed that all the laundry supplies have gone up by $1-$2 per item! And of course, I had to replace my hair straightener. I got a deal, though. It was on sale for $99 and I got it for 20% off that price!

I also got called yesterday morning, already scheduled for a half day of work. They somehow had not gotten a sub for the Spanish teacher so they asked me to come in a little early and cover her classes for the morning. I watched the first 40 minutes of The Lion King three times, in Spanish. I understood about three words in the entire thing. Yesterday was a tiring sub day, though, the afternoon was a little challenging; and the morning was a bit slow with the Spanish SEEEEMMBA.

In other news, this week will be Halloween. Megan tells me she will be Count Chocula, but I don't understand how that will happen. And she has a swim meet all weekend at Princeton, so she won't be able to have any fun anyway. Brian hasn't even mentioned a costume, but I don't know what he has in mind if anything. He actually has one of the high school entrance exams on Saturday morning; not that he would be out late celebrating anyway. I am trying to plan a costume for Molly. I'm afraid I may be turning into a Halloween shrew. I have a strong desire to turn off all the lights and pretend to have left for Disney World.

No comments: