Saturday, October 18, 2008

Solitude on Saturday

So we made it to another weekend. Right now it's all quiet in the house, just a dog at my feet, a cat on the arm of the love seat, and another taking a bath on the windowsill. The girls are at the school, taking the PSATs, Brian is sleeping, and Kevin is off somewhere taking a recertification class for his officials credentials for the Y.

Today is a hodge-podge day, practices at the Y, Brian has baseball at 5:30-ish in East Brunswick, which is a bit of a haul, and Megan won't be done practice until 6 or so. Tomorrow Brian and I are supposed to be at church for various reasons, and then there's an all afternoon swim meet at the Y. Also that other Catholic school open house which I would like to try to attend, to leave Monday open, and then Megan is hoping to be able to go to FrightFest at Six Flags with some friends on Sunday night, since they're off on Monday. So we will see.

For some strange reason our fire alarm has gone off twice, resulting in a call from the monitoring station and my embarassment. It seems to have something to do with showers and hair dryers, but I can't realy pinpoint the cause. The unit going off is a hardwired detector mounted just outside the bathroom. Simultaneously, I hit the code and 'enter' on the keypad and E pushes a button on the ceiling unit, and it stops, so I don't know which of us is actually responsible for turning it off. But then they call and I have to tell them my password and name, and assure them that all is well.

In other news, the weather is finally turning cooler. After packing up all the warm-weather clothing, I didn't much appreciate that return to summer-like temperatures. All the leaves are starting to turn color and drop. It gives Rusty something to watch for hours from his window perch.

No comments: