Monday, August 4, 2008

wartime (copyright 5/31/01)

(reposted without permission)

dear thinmintsmeg: you ask was i in a war what did i do. here is the reply. it is not an easy question to answer because it was long long ago and some things i can't remember and some others i have quite forgotten. after america was attacked by other countries we were enemies. nearly everyone had to serve in the army, the navy or the marines or work in factories that produced ships, airplanes and tanks and guns. I was signed up to be in the army air corps. I had to be trained to be a member of that, how to march and salute and stuff. I was in the army almost 4 years of which almost 2 years were overseas. There I became a transportation officer. we had squadrons of airplanes. They looked something like the planes that the airlines of today have but they weren't jets because jets weren't invented at the time, we carrid freight such as gasoline or spare parts for trucks or planes or food or even jeeps. my job was to see that the right things got loaded and to sign them out. it was in places called england, france, ireland, germany. do you know where that is? you have to sail across te atlantic ocean which is the same ocean that is at the trade winds beach club, but way out in the middle it got very dark at night and do you know that lots of big sparks that look like fireworks jump up from the sea but in the day time even that far from the shore there are seagulls that follow the ships hoping that leftovers or garbage would be thrown out which they would like to eat. do you remember the big one that stole your hot dog in cape may heh heh. well so many strange things happened after that i just can't tell because i would have to write a book maybe i will do that.

the book will be called "the gods across the river" so far all i have written is the title. But at least I came to my old home in Philadelphia and it was good to be home and to be a civilian instead of the army but things didn't go right and many troubles and woes awaited me but I then had a stroke of good luck when I first met Cat (Bond). Then Father time sent me great new people such as you, Megan, and also Beans, Kevin and Bryan and that has made me happy in the end. Two more things I have to say. one. Do you know there is such a thing as voice lessons (singing) I would like to sing well and sing on the stage with a microphone and a band an an audience or sing in a cafe. would you like that? two. please get better right away. we don't want you to feel bad one more minute. love love love hug hug koke.

No comments: