Thursday, August 28, 2008

Labor Day

So the end of summer is upon us. It's been a long summer this year, even though it seems like the end shouldn't be here just yet. I guess with the early trip to Cape May, then summer Nationals, and the Fresh Air visit, plus the anticipation of E just all came together to make the weeks seem to be longer.

E's first week has gone well, despite an unfortunate brief membership she enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) on the school soccer team. It turned out not to be what she had had in mind, so she decided she will find her friends elsewhere. I emailed the JV coach and he never got back to me, so I hope that he did get my email.

Otherwise, they've been to the beach a couple of times, out to dinner for Brian's birthday, to the mall, shopping in Red Bank, and finally, yesterday, we got her a cell phone, so she is all ready for friends.

Someone at work gave Kevin tickets to the Giants/Patriots preseason game tonight, in a skybox, there are just four tickets, so I am voluntarily sitting this one out. I will make that huge sacrifice. Anyway, I have just come from the dermatologist, who has removed my troublesome brown spot, which he pronouced to be a 'collision tumor' of, he thinks, two benign entities. I'll know for sure next week.

He also drained the cyst I grew behind my ear, *^#! thing that it is, and said he thought he would have gotten more out, it is still inflamed. He injected it with cortisone and told me that hopefully that will help within a couple of days and if not, I can talk about seeing a surgeon to have the whole cyst taken out. Grr. I had hoped he would take it out today, but I guess I'll see what it does next. It's all done with a local anesthetic anyway, maybe if it doesn't get better I will just go to Kevin's dermatologist, who happens to also be a dermatologic surgeon. Now it's killing me. But at least he assured me neither of these things are likely to be troublesome.

The kids had their doctors appointments on Tuesday, and they both did well. Megan got the meningitis vaccine, despite my anxieties over possible side effects. The risk of getting meningitis is greater than the risk of having the side effects, and the risk of dying from meningitis is also greater. So I went with the statistics. I also worried all winter when I watched her in those mega-crowded swimming pools during warm-ups at the big meets. It always amazes newcomers to the sport to see the sheer numbers of kids who turn out for these events. But the warm-up pool is surely a cesspool of festering germs.

I didn't get this vaccine for Brian yet,though. I want to be extra sure it's safe for him to have that particular one, in light of his aseptic meningitis and all that fun stuff.

In other news, this weekend we will attend our exchange student orientation on Saturday, and then say goodbye to the beach club on Sunday and/or Monday. Of course, in my facial state of distress (removed defects) I will be trying my best to stay out of the sun. Oh, I almost forgot. I also have melasma and rosacea. After we had gone over the "bad" concerns that I had - the brown spot and the ear cyst - I said to him, "and my face is a mess." To which he replied, "I see that." :-O

No comments: