Wednesday, March 31, 2010

free at last!!!

FINALLY. I have not worked this much in years! And my paycheck arrived yesterday. Of course, it was less than I had hoped for but still probably the largest I have ever received. And today I went for my 'interview' at the employment agency. They don't ask you much, you just fill in a bunch of forms and take a LONG test on their computer. So I scored above average for all my Microsoft Office application skills, and I typed 60 wpm with six errors. So if they get anything in they will call, particularly in Excel.

The Excel thing is ironic, because I sent a resume over to a church on the recommendation of a friend. Her mother is retiring from the position and they need someone to work part time but to be their main office secretary. I am sure I'd be able to do the job and do it well, but I may not get the chance because it turns out they may want someone with bookkeeping experience, and related software. So I have experience annualizing rates of return and compiling statistics but since I have not used accounting software or kept a simple ledger, I may not even be granted an interview.

Otherwise, I am just happy to be off on a weekday! Brian had a tutor come by to try to help him with biology, but the teacher is so disorganized that there's nothing to help us figure out what he needs next. There's one assignment on the web but Brian claims it's not for his class. I had him do it anyway, with the tutor. She won't be cheap but if she comes once a week and helps him through his work, when he gets the study guide for the final, hopefully she can coach him through to a better grade than he got on the midterm!

Now I am going to take him out to get a couple of things for our trip. I am anxious to get down there - the stress leading up to it is always exhausting: dogs, cats, house, shopping, packing, flying ... and yesterday, Molly pooped on the rug again! Right next to me! I sat down on the floor to pet her and she started to come over - then walked away and went right into a squat! I threw her our, turds flying everywhere. It was just awful. She had been let out several times, but it was raining. I don't know whether to just take her to the kennel with Wilbur or to pray really hard that the dog walker comes through and walks her every day next week. She tries to hold out for those walks, and if she doesn't get them, nature takes over.

Of course, I think she did go outside this morning already. When I opened the door to let them in, I saw Wilbur eating what seemed to be a fresh pile. The fun is never-ending.

My horoscope for today says go to a very crowded place, that I will be energized by the crowds. I find this advice tough to follow - but maybe I'll give it a try in a little while. I've been feeling fairly anti-social lately!

And in other news, the sun is finally peeking through the clouds. We should have some monstrous shrubs and perennials this year. This has been crazy! I only hope it will hold off till after we have already flown to Florida to rain again ... and I hope it stays dry while we're down there!

No comments: