Thursday, March 25, 2010

good grief

I cannot believe how fast time has gone yet how long the week has seemed to be! I checked and I see my last blog post was four days ago. The crime! It's just been hectic. Of course, working till 3 and then having a meeting Tuesday night at the high school, a dinner with Brian through his school last night, and then tonight the foreign languages fundraising dinner at Megan's school. Not to mention a Monday and Tuesday from hell in my classroom, although thankfully they were balanced out by the two best days yet, in yesterday and today.

Times are a little stressful though. The school budget news has really been grim, and they posted the number of teachers to be cut as right around 72 in the district. The superintendent says to think of it as positions and not people, alleging that they will try to move everyone into open spots as people retire. But this really only applies to the tenured staff. So the non-tenured are really on edge. And I can forget about my dream of getting in there permanently, at least for now. So the search must go on.

Along those lines, I finally discovered who was hired for the job I didn't get, and as I suspected, they went the 'young and just out of college' route. I can't wait to see the first finished product, but I imagine they will be happy anyway. After all, Harvard they ain't, thought they may think they are just as good. I imagine as long as someone gets the job done reasonably well, they won't notice any different. And as long as she isn't asking to leave to go drive a kid somewhere for half an hour, they'll be happy.

Tomorrow is report card day for Brian. I think he is passing everything, albeit barely. He has a biology quiz tomorrow and that seems to be his worst subject, no matter what he does. I was actually considering moving him back to the public schools until this budget news hit. Now those C's aren't looking so bad. And anyway - he is happy there. Hopefully that will motivate him to improve.

Megan's health is improving, on this third course of antibiotics. I hope she will be healthy for nationals - terrible news for some of these poor college swimmers, all sick with the gastro ailment in Chicago! That happened to some swimmers in Florida two years ago. They ate chicken at our hotel and it landed them all in the hospital for a few days. What a shame.

My charge in school is going to be on vacation next week, so I will go in tomorrow and work wherever they need me, but then on Monday and Tuesday, I'm working in a third grade class in my other school. I'll go back in with my boy on Easter Monday but then we're off for Florida. Then when I come back, I'll stay with him until he leaves the school, which I believe will be the end of the month.

Anyway, in other news, Megan's prom dress is here. I have to find a seamstress and have it altered, it is too long and probably too big in some spots (she hasn't tried it on yet! they had another dress in the same size but not this one, they had just sold it when I estimated her as a smaller size than she actually needed). I'd like to get it into someone next week so it will be ready when we get back from our trip. Oh, and while I was out today, Wilbur ate the cushion off of one of the kitchen stools. Then later, when I took him (and Molly) for a walk, a neighbor asked if anything had happened at our house a few days ago. He said he heard the dog barking so badly that he almost came over to make sure we were OK! I said, no. That's just Wilbur.

No comments: