Monday, March 8, 2010

the good the bad and the ugly

Well, first the good, for a change. I spoke to the vet today and Molly's blood work was .. OK. There was one enzyme that was elevated, and this could mean Cushing's Disease, so he wants me to monitor her water intake over two days and report back to him. If she is drinking way too much, then she will have to undergo additional testing and possibly be treated. If not, I don't think we do anything but keep an eye on her. She seems fine today. She's perking up with the nice weather, I guess. And she does not have any kidney issues at all!

I took them both for a double-length walk. They liked that. Wilbur is funny, he criss-crosses constantly in front of me the whole walk. It would be annoying if he were larger, but I feel like he's doing some deep-seated ancient cavedog ritual and that makes it kind of cute.

OK, so now the bad and the ugly. It could be worse. And it's certainly not to be unexpected, given my track record with jobs. I got into school today only to be told that there has been a change. It seems that one of the students in another class is moving out of town in a few weeks, and so the woman who is assigned to him has been reassigned to the spot that I was supposed to have. I am now with the soon-to-be-moving child, which is a finite (and exhausting) assignment. And I'm not even sure if I am in this spot for the whole time, or just for the five days I had signed on for, or what. And now I have to miss Friday at the meet in PA for this, and there is very little likelihood, if any at all in light of the news on budget cuts, that it will lead to anything more permanent. :-( How does this always happen?

And then another teacher called and asked if I would work for her in two weeks. I had to say no, but I wasn't happy having to do so. But I suppose I will be able to pay off my credit card bills and sock a little money aside for summer if I work for all these weeks. It's just a physically and emotionally tiring job, and not having expected it, I had some adjustment issues today.

Anyway, in other news, there is some more good news that I forgot to mention. Brian is no longer failing any classes. He managed to bring his grades up high enough, and although we don't know the biology test grade (but are not optimistic) hopefully his strong early scores this marking period will carry him for the remainder. And he had tennis tryouts today but all they did was run. They will play tomorrow, but he expects heavy cuts. I think he is hopeful but not expectant. I'm sure he will be sad if he is cut, but I don't think it will be devastating. He heard they were only going to take three freshmen. I guess he'll know this by the end of the week.

No comments: