Friday, December 18, 2009

the week in review

I haven't written since Tuesday! I can't believe it's been that long since I splattered the unknown on the exit ramp of the GSP. Time sure does fly. I have worked most days since, just taking Wednesday off on purpose to get the house and food ready for the onslaught of high school swimmers. That went fairly well although I did just about run out of sauce. A few stragglers showed up and when I peeked into the crock pot, all that remained were four sorry looking sausages! So we went through a whole pot of sauce, about five pounds of pasta as well as another pound baked into a tray of ziti. Most of the guests brought bread as their contribution, so we're fairly well set now for this big storm that's allegedly headed our way.

Anyway, I did my half day job for the one school yesterday, and was home getting ready to go to Megan's meet when I started getting into some confusion about my job scheduled for today. One of my regular teachers was going to be out for a few days and wanted to request me, but since I was already booked for today, it wasn't showing me the job and she couldn't cancel it. But then I finally got hold of them, and they managed to switch it, but I felt badly, because the job I was switched out of was the one I had been looking forward to for two weeks! But it's OK, because this class is unique, and this is a three day assignment. So again, continuity and Christmas bills.

I'm really trying to maintain constancy of thought here, but Wilbur is repeatedly dropping a dead stuffed baby at my feet. He ripped all the guts out and it has become his favorite fetching item. He drops it at my feet and then paws at the couch until I throw it for him again. Molly, of course, completely ignores everything he does.

So this is it, the last shopping weekend of the season. I decided I'd better run up to the stores for a couple of things but then Megan came with me, and that as a bit of a hindrance. I have no stocking stuffers and since she came with me, I still don't. And she caught me buying her the SAT prep book, so that's just a thing I bought now. But I did manage to get a shampoo and a conditioner, at least.

Oh, and one thing I learned is that if you give people the option to bring something else or bread to a pasta party, they will bring bread. We now have enough bread to last us through the new year and beyond. That will come in handy if we're snowed in tomorrow, we'll all be passing around dried out bread. Even the cats, because I'm pretty sure I'm about all out of cat food now.

And so in other news, Brian got two progress reports. He is doing very poorly in biology, worse than before. I emailed the teacher again, and again, the teacher didn't email me back. I know there is s protocol of contact, but this teacher apparently said to his class that he hates getting emails from parents. Brian was initially begging me not to email him after the first report. But now I have decided that this is just too bad. We don't pay this amount of money for school, and then not be allowed to talk to the teacher of the class that our kid is failing! He is now off from school for the holiday break, but with serious midterms shortly after the return. He has packets to complete while he's off, as well as homework. Not much time to get into trouble, I hope!

No comments: