Thursday, December 10, 2009

a moment's peace

This is what I have decided to take. I'm feeling anxious in general lately with Megan being sick, Christmas coming, and the uncertainty of my work week, although it did turn out perfectly fine. The class and I had a lovely last day together, they were pretty well behaved (with two absent - haha) for almost the whole day. When the worst thing that happens is you catch one of the "good" girls holding up a whiteboard for all to see that says "too late chubby fat boy" to a kid without an ounce of fat on his body, that's a pretty good day. The runner-up event was at the end of the day when I noticed one of the boys in the front row had taken the caps off of five of his crayola markers and put one on each of the fingers on his hand, and was just waving them around while I talked. Of course, the insides of marker caps are full of marker ink, so that had a pleasant aftermath.

I haven't heard from the teacher yet but I imagine she is busy being free and I am busy trying to get everything ready for tomorrow, and right now I'm cooking dinner and have just eight minutes while my pasta boils. Megan is getting a ride home, they got out a little early and Kevin didn't get there in time. I had her ask one of the boys if he could drive her but he was driving another kid and I didn't want to encourage law-scoffing, so I tried to get Kevin there in time but it didn't work. Another girl and her father are dropping Megan off. Kevin is going to the store to buy bone-in pork chops to boil with ginger and wild scallions for some ancient Chinese cold cure. I doubt she will take even one sip, but whatever he feels he needs to do, I guess, is fine.

And then for some reason tonight I was requested by another teacher I don't think I have ever heard of for tomorrow. The job came up and wouldn't go away, I didn't designate tomorrow as a non-work day just in case I had to do the same class again, but when I saw that one was stuck on my screen I thought I'd better give it up, so I posted the day as unavailable, and the job went away. I hate to do that, but I have to be at the pool with Megan by around 7 tomorrow. It's going to be a long weekend.

So she says she is feeling better and I hope that she is. She did stay home yesterday and rest, and she's been taking lots of advil, sudafed, and vitamins. Her voice is a little hoarse but she never did end up with a fever so I hope it was just a bad cold. Maybe the ancient Chinese brew will actually knock the rest of it out, we'll see. I hope he remembers the wild scallions. I just texted him about them.

Anyway, that's about all my time. In other news, the cleaning people came today and they don't do a very good job sometimes. The floors look ok but they use way too much polish on my good wood furniture, they break all my picture frames, and for what we pay them you'd think they would vacuum under the couch cushions, but they don't. The boss woman tried to bully me into letting them come the Saturday before Christmas because Christmas Eve is our next due date, but I think I might call and tell her no, don't bother. I told Megan she can have a swim team pasta party here on the 16th, and if she does, I'll have to clean up for that anyway. But wait and see. They'll be here on that Saturday before Christmas, ruining my furniture, not vacuuming under my cushions, and taking our money. Maybe Kevin will criticize them since he'll be home!

No comments: