Tuesday, December 15, 2009

road kill and other fun stuff

So last night I decided to take Megan to the 'new' outlets that opened a few miles south of us last year. Not a big success, but we did pick up a few gifts. I offered to take Megan to Chili's for dinner since that's our usual tradition after a swim meet, but it was just too late and too long of a weekend, with school the next morning, after this last one. This is where my fate sealed with that of a poor small animal.

Just as we slowed to get off at the parkway exit, I saw a flash of a small animal bolt out from the ravine on the side of the highway. I tried to brake, but it was already under my wheels, and I ran it over. This is the second time this has happened to me since I have lived in NJ, and it's horrible. I always remember being in a friend's car when I was a kid and we ran over a goose with the father driving and he was so upset.

Anyway, the worst part was looking back and seeing whatever it was (I hope not a cat but it could have been although no houses are within at least a half mile of that spot) was flopping all over the road, even springing up in the air, and the row of cars behind me had all stopped to avoid playing their part in the demise of this poor creature. There was nothing I could have done, but I felt terrible about, and still do.

That was quite depressing, but we had our dinner at Chili's and came home. No jobs were showing up and I was getting a bit discouraged about that, but this morning one did, and it was a fairly good assignment, so I took it. It was Spanish, of all things, but I know they leave you things that you can do even without speaking the language, which is my unfortunate state of comprehension. So I had a day of showing videos and making holiday cards with fifth and second graders. It wasn't bad.

Now I face the daunting task of hosting a pasta party for the school swim team, and I have absolutely NO IDEA how many kids to expect, or what to expect, or anything. I blocked tomorrow out as a no-work day so I won't be shown any jobs, and of course two teachers asked if I could come in tomorrow if they were out, both were feeling ill today in school. But I can't, I have to get the house ready, make five pounds of pasta, a pot of sauce and three pounds of meatballs, and a tray of baked ziti. Stay tuned.

And in other news, I found out Continental changed my flight home from Fort Lauderdale in April! I never even saw the email they claim they sent! But the flight I was on was at 11:15 and they cancelled that flight. Other options were 10am and 1:15, so they put us on the 10am. This means we'll have to leave the hotel by 8! And the swimmers stay at a different hotel but come back to ours for a visit on the last day, and we won't get to see them. Kevin might, he will probably get a later flight back, who knows - but that stinks! Megan will fly home with the team again.

I suppose I could have asked them to switch me to the 1:15 since I didn't make the change, but I don't want to start risking getting home too late either. The next day will be back to school for everyone, and I'll have Brian with me. So annoying. I only found out because someone asked which flights I was on, and what I had in my email didn't make sense so I checked online and the two didn't sync. Ugh.

No comments: