Wednesday, December 9, 2009

one more day!

So I found out today that I should have one more day left on this assignment. It turned out that I was able to stay in the same class I've been in for the entire week instead of being switched into the other. Although I feel badly not being able to cover for both, if I start for one I would rather stay in that class. Why should those kids have to adapt to a new sub, while the other class is going to have the same one for two days anyway? And that's how it turned out, and I heard the other class was good and well-behaved for her today, so that was good.

My class has not been bad. They're second-graders and they do what they do, but they're a bunch of good kids who look at you with wide eyes when you catch them doing bad things, instead of talking back and not caring. However, the wide eyes don't last long and as soon as you turn your back they're back to their old ways. I learned to bring a water bottle to class. My throat was dry and sore by the end of that first day!!

But the teacher said she thinks tomorrow is the last day she has to be out, their trial is over and they should be wrapping things up tomorrow. So she'll be back Friday and I can take a hopefully-much-improved Megan to her meet. She did stay home from school today, last night when she got home from practice she felt badly, and I took her temperature and it was 99.0. I know this is not a fever, and she had just had a 1.5 hour workout, a hot shower, and a hot dinner, but I also think it meant she was fighting something. So I left her home alone, but woke her up and gave her advil at 7:30, which somehow caused her to remain awake until 4:30, when she finally went to sleep. I woke her up at 6:30 for dinner.

She seems to feel better but for a terribly stuffy nose and the beginning of a wet cough, but she's swum with worse in the past and done well, as have others. It's going to come down to a mental thing which is why she needed this day. Also the horrific weather made it a good day to stay home. She was scheduled to go on a trip to the middle school anyway, and her group was going to the special ed class. So I think for the sake of all involved, it was best that she stayed home, disappointing as it was. And of course she is missing school on Friday for the meet, making this an extra unexcsued absence, because who takes their kid to the doctor for the common cold anyway? I'm hoping they will excuse her swimming absences, as other schools do. They bring in the meet sheets and prove their kids were there, and the schools excuse them. I have to look into that.

I also picked up the certification on Wilbur's unfitness, from my vet. I dropped it off at the pet store and she was fairly nice, of course she tried to say his leg went bad because he jumps off my couches and my bed (no way!) Also since I am not asking her for money immediately she is going to try to discourage me from doing so, ever. But we'll see. I hope it doesn't come to that myself.

Anyway, in other news, Brian still lives here. He has been busy trying to look busy with schoolwork so he won't have to go to swimming! He has not been to swimming in two weeks because he always has schoolwork due the next day. I think it's really important for him to swim, but something always seems to get in the way, like last Thursday we had the college funding seminar and this week he had a ping pong tournament at school and didn't get home until 4:30 and then needed time to get ready for those blasted cleaning people who seem to be coming the next day all the time! On that note - better go recharge my battery for my last day in second grade (for now!)

No comments: