Monday, December 28, 2009

goodbye 2009

Here it is, the end of the year. Today is the day that the swim team leaves for their trip to PA. I am a designated driver of luggage, just a quick drive there and back, and Kevin will go up Thursday to bring it all home again. So I forgot to set my alarm, and Kevin woke me up with his usual accusatory brusqueness, "IT'S TEN TO SEVEN!"

We were due at the parking lot by 7:45. But we made it! Only the bus didn't. So that worked out ok, the coach took them inside to swim here instead of at the college pool for their morning swim, and I was able to come home to fetch Megan's roast beef hero, which I had forgotten in our rush. Luckily I had packed up everything else last night. So we stood around and froze our toes for half an hour, then I got gas and came home for a few games of fetch the tennis ball with Wilbur.

I'm going to leave in a little while and should get to the hotel in King of Prussia by noon at the latest. I'll make sure they're situated and don't need anything else from the store before I head back. Kevin bought a family four pack of tickets to the Devils game tonight and Brian is bringing a friend (we think). The friend's father is also invited but if he can't go, then I will. I'll have to be back by five in order for that to work out.

Meanwhile, Megan is still planning a little New Years gathering with just a small group, and I'll have to clean the house and prep for that over tomorrow and the next day. I saw some nice looking bubbly beverage at Whole Foods that I'll probably go back for, and maybe some pigs in blankets as well. We'll have our annual New Years dinner at my favorite restaurant (probably no crab cakes just yet, for me!) and then stay home to make sure all goes well. Brian is still plodding through his schoolwork, and I'm trying to help him get it organized. It really is a tremendous amount of information he is being asked to compile, but the more I look through it, the more I think he should probably have had most of it compiled as the year went on, as it's all review work for the midterms. So we'll focus on that over the next couple of days as well.

In other news, I seem to have fully recovered from my crab cake attack. I should go and get some exercise myself over this week at home, but tomorrow I have to take Brian to the eye doctor in the morning and possibly to a tennis tournament that the club is running. He didn't sign up yet, but he usually does that the day of the tournament anyway. I just don't know if they're full this time, usually they call to see if he wants to participate, and they have not done so. Other than that, we expect a quiet week of catching up on laundry and organizing. Kevin spent hours yesterday digging a deeper trench (right in front of the shed door) for the water from the sump hose. Apparently the existing pit was filled to above the level of the pipe, so the pipe was backing up. I thought water would always find a way, but I guess it senses less resistance heading back towards the house than away from it. But the basement did stay dry. Not too bad, considering nearly two feet of snow was melting in a day-long downpour.

No comments: