Wednesday, September 23, 2009

a refreshing life

So now I have a new pastime. Hitting F5 over and over to refresh the screen on the sub calling website, in the hopes of seeing a viable opportunity before it vanishes back into oblivion at the hand of another prospective sub with faster fingers than I. This morning, as yesterday, I saw only one job, a middle school gym teacher, and yesterday I wasn't able to work anyway, as I had to worry about the Doll. Today I could, but I had to wonder why the job sat for twenty minutes before being filled this time! I also saw yesterday a half day autistic teacher, but again, with the Doll, I couldn't do it.

So she was released yesterday and there is absolutely nothing physically wrong with her that they can find. Every test has come back normal. There is no cancer, her organs are functioning, and her heart is ticking away. The pacemaker is keeping the heart rate steady, and the blood pressure, though a little high, is not something to be causing these symptoms. They switched her off of one BP medication onto another, and then sent her out with a slew of confusing prescription sheets, which I am sure they explained and I am sure she nodded her agreement, but then as we were trying to get home to feed the kids, she broke them all out and pored through them. I got Kevin to go and fill them for her, and told her she'd better call her primary care doc this morning, because that woman hasn't even been consulted throughout all of this. I am somewhat running out of tolerance as I begin to see it isn't a major medical emergency after all.

I believe she is anxious about living alone, and it's crossed into her subconscious mind. She's always been worried about falling, and now that she HAS fallen, it's even more real in her mind. Add to that the fact that they prescribed all sorts of anti-anxiety medications to an already anxious/depressed type of person, and the meds are creating their own little Armageddon in her brain. It seems more and more like this is the problem. One has to hope that she really needed that pacemaker ... presumably the monitors don't lie ... and the symptoms were certainly consistent with a low heart rate.

Anyway, as today will be my last day off this week, I am going to use it to catch up on laundry and straightening, getting some food for the house, and managing my checkbook as much as it can be managed in its pathetic state. Brian starts swimming (really) tonight and tomorrow, and of course, Megan has it as well. She's been coughing a lot more, after having this cold virus, with which Brian is a few days behind in its progression, but he also has it. He's been staying after school every day for one thing or other, the group that does charity work for the school, mock trial team, and today, the Spanish club. It's great that there are things that he can do with this school. He seems very happy there, although we haven't seen too many grades. He keeps getting not the best grades in math for stupid reasons, so he's going to have to be more careful. He has already announced that he wants to make honors math and science next year so he can take AP computers as a junior.

So in other news, it is nice and quiet again with only two dogs. Baxter is just such a messy dog! Aside from crapping twice in the house, he smelled, shed thin little hairs on everything, slobbered and sniveled and drooled and snored all over the place, and wouldn't go outside without being put on a leash. Once outside, he would refuse to step on grass, and he wanted to pee on all my flowers and shrubs. I finally figured out that he wouldn't poop if Wilbur was out with us, which meant I had to take Molly and Wilbur separately because Wilbur was able to escape through the fence when I'd lock them in and take Baxter out to another part of the yard. Yesterday it took me two hours to get all the dog business sorted out. Of course, I may be expected over there to walk him today. Not that he won't survive without a walk. He will be fine.

But I guess she will want to be looked in on, although she had a lot of biddie friends calling and checking on her, that I am sure would be happy to pick up some of the slack. Oh, and she has many appointments coming up, so she may need rides to some of them. I told her I'd go to the one next week, the cardiologist, but I just can't do all of them! I don't even know who these doctors are.

No comments: