Monday, September 21, 2009

medical mystery, what else is new

So the Doll is back in the hospital. Yesterday, we all went to church, and when we got back we found the usual litany of messages from her, ending in the one that says, "going to the hospital, hope to see you there." Oh yes, and did I forget to mention it was 70+ degrees and sunny in NJ yesterday? Mmhmm. Well it was.

Apparently the familiar symptoms are back - the extreme nausea that hits out of nowhere, followed by the lightheadedness that preceded her fainting attack last week. So she called the cardiologist and in the end, 911, and was taken back to the emergency room again. When we got there, she was very tired, sound asleep and unable to get out of bed because of the nausea. She even used a bedpan! So they agreed to admit her.

In order to be admitted, she had to see a doctor from a service that works at the hospital, they can admit people when the people's doctors don't have admitting privileges at that hospital. So this nice young doctor (I like to call him House, MD) came and sat with us for quite a while. He was very thorough and asked a lot of good, but scary questions about her history with cancer, and how long she has had these recent headaches she's been complaining about. I took that opportunity to voice my despair at the decision to implant the pacemaker before taking an MRI of the brain of this woman who had metastasized colon cancer 20 years ago and now presents with symptoms of balance issues and nausea. But what do I know, I'm just a cyberchondriac anyway.

But House MD did admit her and he seems pretty well committed to ruling out everything it could possibly be, before focusing on medication interactions. Today she is having an ultrasound of her abdomen, and he has arranged for her to be seen by neurology, who will order some specialized tests that may show more than the CT, which was just a repeat of the one they did last week anyway, so no surprise that that one was negative. She seems to be feeling better, which makes me wonder if anxiety might not play a part, at least subconsciously because she says it comes on without warning, and not when she is anxious. But she is certainly anxious about living alone, I think, and the fact that if she falls down, there might not be anyone around to help. This thought has to always be in the back of her mind. And .. so we wait.

I didn't know if she would be discharged today, so I ran down to get my oil changed and then hurried into the mall to try to replace the dress shirt of Brian's that was stolen from his locker during the freshman run last week. I kept checking messages, and to my horror, there was one from my doctor's office, saying they had my lab results, if I wanted to go over them! Ack! This was my third blood test with them and they have NEVER called unless there was a problem. So I abandoned my search for the shirt, and went out to the parking lot, fought a busy signal for ten minutes, and finally got a nurse on the phone. "Oh," she said, "it's all normal." =:-O Thrilled to hear this, of course, but my heart! I might be joining the Doll in the CCU soon! Apparently they just wondered if I'd like to know my cholesterol level. Incidentally, 168.

And in other news, JOBS appeared on my screen today on the sub system! Amazement! Shock and awe! Of course, I couldn't take them. Unprepared for their appearance, it was already 7:40 and I would have had to shower and travel by 8:30 to the schools. So I didn't take them, but I did keep checking, and I ended up finding a two-day assignment for Thursday and Friday. So I am most excited about that. And on that note, Megan has just walked in the door. It's 2:30 already!

No comments: