Thursday, September 17, 2009

my bad day

Yesterday didn't start out too badly, although it was damp and gloomy. I had to get out of bed when Kevin let Wilbur out of his cage, because Wilbur's new thing is not to go out unless I get up and come down with them, so Kevin got mad and just refused to let him out anymore, because his feelings were hurt. It was Megan's picture day, so I drove her to school, and it wasn't raining yet, so Brian was able to walk to school. I fulfilled my obligation to drive the Doll to her hair appointment, but told her I wouldn't be able to pick her up because I had a 2:00 doctor's appointment.

I left the house around 1:20, plenty of time to get to the appointment, but it was raining, and I missed a turn and ended up in a totally different place. I turned on my GPS and found my way back, and arrived at 2:04, only to be told (or actually to overhear them whispering) that my appointment was supposed to be at 1:30. The waiting room was practically empty, but they made a big deal about whether or not I could be seen anyway, gave me paperwork "just in case" and never bothered to tell me if they were going to see me, until they called me in. Very mean and reproachful.

When the nurse called me back, I apologized again for being so late (a mistake actually, not just a lateness, although I guess it is the same to them, and they have a sign that says if you're more than ten minutes late you have to reschedule) and she said, "don't worry about it, you're here now." and ran five steps ahead of me everywhere I had to be. I've been worrying about my blood pressure because it's always been high at that office, the past three years or so, and she put the cuff on and I barely felt it close around my arm when she took it off and said, "good." I asked what it was, and she said, "100 over 60" ?? Then she rushed me to the scale (ack), then into the room.

The doctor was better and more relaxed, but he did tell me that in the morning he would have told me to go home because he had been so busy with orthodox Jews getting ready for the holidays that he wouldn't have been able to fit me in. But then I felt very guilty when I left and the waiting room was once again full of them. Although I can't imagine the no-more-than-ten minutes that he spent with me set him back that much, or his nurse and the two minutes I got of her time before the exam.

Anyway, then I had my blood drawn and, because I don't pay for blood work and was so frazzled by my stupidity, I forgot to stop at the desk and give them my copay (which actually I don't think I technically am supposed to need for 'well care' but they always take it anyway), which I didn't realize till I got home. I called them and they said I would get a bill. I should probably call and get the information from the insurance company first, because it will be changing at the end of the month and they might not be as helpful if I call after that!

So, still feeling really stupid, I see Brian. He tells me, "I think you will really like my English teacher when you meet him at Back to School Night ... TONIGHT!" (It's on my calendar for next Wednesday). It was the first week of swim practice so I decided I'd take Brian there early and he could study for an hour, then we'd pick him up after BTS night. I went out and got a rotisserie chicken for dinner.

I met Kevin at BTS night (really very impressed with the school, it is very expensive but so far it seems to be money well-spent) and we started the circuit of classes. About halfway through, I got a text from Brian, "let's try this again next week." Huh? =:-O The practice for his group, the high school group, doesn't start with the others! It starts NEXT week .. so I left him there for three hours for nothing. Luckily, he bummed a ride home with one of our carpool dads, who was there picking up his daughter from a different practice group. Ouch.

Anyway, was I glad to put that day to bed. Although, just as I was about to do this, Kevin reminded us that today was a scheduled cleaning lady day, and there were things all over that needed to be moved around. So we did the best we could do, and here it is, the next day, and the ladies are done and gone. The dogs and I ran some errands and then stopped by the dog park until the drizzle picked up. Now we're home and I have volunteered to go and walk Baxter. The Doll is feeling pretty well, just a headache. I am thinking it's the new blood pressure medication they gave her.

So in other news, I am a nervous wreck every time the phone rings, thinking it will be the neurologist. I didn't really expect to hear from him yesterday, he isn't really likely to call on the very next day, because it would be unlikely they would find anything that needed urgent reporting. So with Brian, I can never be assured that no news is good news. I have to actually have the good news to know that it is good news. So I continue to wait and wrestle with the question, 'should I just call and get it over with?' Especially since Kevin looked and thought it was OK. I hope so! As for Megan, she's been sniffling and sneezing, so we'll see where she goes with that. She started her claritin-D and nasonex last night, but she has a very busy day today, a meeting at school followed by swim practice and then a lesson at church for Sunday school teachers, of which she will be one this year. So I hope she feels better this afternoon. Homework? Don't ask.

No comments: