Wednesday, September 2, 2009

and so ends summer

The past few days have been beautiful. Crisp, cool, dry weather, beautiful sunshine. Who wants to go back to school with weather like this outside? Nobody who has a choice, but nobody has a choice, so they go back tomorrow! Well, Megan does. Brian has one more day and then he has orientation on Friday, where he will get his schedule, locker, and have extended homeroom and picture day. He has to wear a blazer on top of the tie, the latter of which will be part of his daily uniform now! Megan only has half days this week, then they both go back to full days on Tuesday the 8th. Brian will have tests on his summer reading books.

Yesterday I took them both for routine blood work, probably the first time I have done that in ... ever. Brian wasn't even in the system. Megan had blood work done several years ago when she had an unexplained fever for about ten days. She was so young then that I remember taking her to a dance performance at her old dancing school, and worrying if that was a bad choice because she had been sick. And of course Brian had lots of CBCs done when he was in and out of hospitals in 2005. But all of these were just drawn through the IV, so he was scared for hours before we got there. In the end, his was nothing, once they found his little tiny veins and stuck the butterfly needle in. When they took off their cottons, Megan's was all red and bloody. Brian made a big panicky production of pulling his off, only to reveal what looked like the tip of a brown ballpoint pen had been stuck there.

After the blood work, I got a call that the hairdresser, who is very difficult to get, had a cancellation for today at 2! This is for Megan's back to school cut, and the timing was perfect! She can have nice hair for the first day of school! But no. She will get her hair cut, but I had forgotten about the blasted beach practices of the swim team, which involve a run along the boardwalk, an hour of calisthenics on the beach, and then sometimes, a swim in the ocean. They have only gone in the ocean once, and Megan wasn't there that night, but tonight, I would bet my fortune on their taking a swim, just because her hair will be perfect. She might be able to stretch it with just a run and some dryland exercises, but no way if she goes into the briny surf. Also, she has a giant sandburn on her thigh, which she hid from me for several days, another reason I think she should stay out of the ocean, but still she will not.

I've been paying my bills and again hoping that the online sub system takes effect soon. It says that it's live, but no jobs are showing up. The teachers just went back to work today, so I wouldn't really expect them to be taking days off just yet. But they usually start scheduling meetings with child study team members the first week, and they always need subs to cover for those. So I'm checking. I also joined craig'slist hoping I can sell these baseball tickets for 8pm on the 13th. I see a few others listed there but I got nervous and didn't post them. I don't know what happens if I sell them and the game is rained out. If it's another rainout, and I have the tickets, what if the new date is better? And do I have to sell them at a discount, or can I just sell them at face value? There are a couple of other tickets listed for the game, but they're better seats and they're being sold for $40-50 each. I would like to charge $20 apiece, the tickets were $22, but I paid considerably more if you factor in the service charges that I can't pass along.

Anyway, in other news, Wilbur is being annoying today. He'd been so good when he first came back from the puppy farm, but now it seems like he is back to his old ways, barking all the time, getting distracted when we take him outside to do his business, stealing all of Molly's toys, and constantly humping Rusty. I have him in his little pen now and he's quiet, but obviously I can't leave him there. I might take him over to the dog park and let some rottweiler put him in his place :-) And the cleaning people are coming tomorrow. It feels like they haven't been here in ages, when it was really just three weeks ago. I had expected them last week, but they never showed up. So maybe they will come tomorrow. They're too expensive anyway. I don't like the amount of cleaning supplies they use up each day either, and they use mine. So they cost me the charge for the day PLUS the mass quantities of various cleaners that they go through each month. I really should shop around, but I have grown to trust them in the house.

No comments: