Sunday, September 13, 2009

pace yourself

What a weekend. After the whole to-do on Thursday with the Doll and her fainting, it turns out that her blood pressure is high, but her heart rate was only in the 50s. Friday was a very wet and gloomy day, and we just left her on her own at the hospital, where she had a bunch of tests done. On Saturday, we stopped over and found out that the treatment she was to receive was a pacemaker (!). And sure enough, receive it she did, as they did the surgery this afternoon, and she was chipper and perky, but just a little sore, when we left her eating her turkey dinner just before 5:00.

Today was a beautiful day, and since she was concerned this might be her last day on earth, we took the kids over to see her before her procedure. We were lucky enough to stumble upon a street fair next to the hospital, so we walked around a little and had some lunch, dried out sandwiches from Zebu. I had ordered the same ones just a couple of weeks ago from a different Zebu and they were sooo good, but for some reason, these were just dried out and horrible. Oh well.

But the good news is that I ran into one of the teachers for whom I have subbed, and she told me that in fact I am on her 'top five' list so hopefully I will be getting assignments, either from her or from other teachers who supposedly have also added me to their favorites :-) So, there is hope. And I hope so, because I am having to watch the Phillies play from my TV, all the while eating $180 that I spent on the tickets we intended to use in May.

Actually, the best news of all is that the Doll can't wait to be reunited with her Baxter, and we assured her that she is not alone in this ambition. Although, as the days go by, he seems to be feeling more and more at home, and Megan discovered that if you put a little parmesan cheese on his kibble, he gobbles it up. Tonight, though, I broke out one of the foil-encased chicken trimmings, and he saw me take that out and went completely insane. So he had a little chicken along with his kibble and cheese, and now he is running around panting like one of the boys. Of course, I will pretend that I don't know that as soon as I turn my back, he gets up on the couch.

And in other news, swimming starts tomorrow, so where most would say life as we know it will cease to be, in our case life as we know it begins, since this is how we spend most of our lives! And so the school year kicks into gear. This week will be busy, with Brian having the freshman run tomorrow, then the MRI Tuesday, and I have my doctor's appointment Wednesday. Then Kevin has to go back to his doctor on Saturday to get the results of the blood work he got drawn yesterday.

Oh, speaking of doctors, I have two that I use, one who I like despite his unkempt appearance and haphazard way of conducting himself, and another who I use because I don't have to wait two hours in the waiting room and one in the exam room (this is Kevin's doctor). The unkempt doctor has a lot of older patients, and today we passed him in the hallway at the hospital. It was funny. I doubt if he recognized me, I haven't been to him since he ordered my knee xray probably three years ago. He jovially said hello nonetheless, while gabbing away on his phone as usual.

Off to watch my $180 Phillies game.

No comments: