Thursday, September 3, 2009

one down, one to go

And she's off. Megan, as always, had a rough idea of what she would wear to school but when it came time to actually put it on, she needed more than she had and didn't know what to do. Eventually I found something passable in the laundry basket, and we set off, about ten minutes later than planned. And then we sat. And sat. And 20 minutes later, I left her at the bus stop. I had second thoughts, and drove back up just in case, and there it was, so she probably made it on time. Usually the bus comes about half an hour earlier than this. I'm sure it will get back on that schedule by next week. Last year it was later on the first day as well, because it follows what the bus pass says, which is incorrect.

Anyway, this was our first school day without E and it was nice. Also nice because it's only a half day so there were no lunches to be packed. I'll have to go shopping over the weekend for lunch stuffs, but Megan has lunch at 10:30 so that's kind of a pain. She'll have more of a brunch, and then eat a linner when she gets home, I guess. But it was more quiet and mellow without two girls vying for the bathroom; and it also helped that Brian hasn't started yet.

Brian is sleeping down in the basement, which is where I and the two dogs are holed up while the cleaning girls mill about upstairs. They are two relatively new girls, another thing I don't like so much about this cleaning service. I never know who they're going to send me. Even the main one changes weekly. Some cleaning woman put a flyer in our mailbox and I was considering calling her, but then Kevin threw it out. So for now, we'll stick with this one. Although I still have suspicions about my camera, otherwise it vanished into thin air.

Speaking of Brian, I got the call from the pediatrician's office yesterday with the results from the blood work. "Megan is fine," she reported, and I said, "just Megan?" So then she rifled through her papers and found Brian's. "Oh, yes," she says. "Brian's CBC was all normal, too .. but .." (why is there always a but with Brian?) His cholesterol was borderline elevated! The normal high for a child is 170 and his was 178. So now I have to change everything. Everything I should have changed anyway because Kevin's has been high, but now that it's happening so soon to Brian, I will have to be sure. No more 2% milk, no more nightly ice cream, no more bacon cheeseburgers, fries, ribs, eggs and cheese quesadillas. More fruits, vegetables, fiber, and exercise! I guess we recheck it next year but I'll ask them to check the thyroid as well at that point. He may have inherited Kevin's Quasimoto Disease. That kid won the lottery when he drew from the gene pool, apparently. At least he got those nice blue eyes.

In other news, I continue to check the sub placement system and it still says no assignments found. It is possible they have not entered any yet, being only the first day with students in school. But I would expect the meetings will be scheduled for next week, and there should be some popping up, unless they put them directly only to certain people. So this will be interesting, and if it doesn't work out, I'll really need to come up with a Plan B. I can't go on like this till Christmas, and beyond. Otherwise, Megan will be home around noon, and then Brian and she will both have half days tomorrow. The weekend is supposed to be beautiful, Saturday in particular, so we will have to try to get our summer's worth of money out of the beach club in three days :-) Oh, and the college search is on for Megan, and she is open to suggestions. Her aspirations are expanding now that her swim coach suggested occupational therapy (which of course we had discussed before) and someone else mentioned early intervention. Otherwise, the main catch-all major is special education, for now. I'm planning a two day trip up to Boston and maybe Connecticut for early November, when the public schools are closed, but not Brian's.

No comments: