Thursday, July 9, 2009

whirlwind summer

So this is it, the apex of the summer activities ... Brian is in tennis, Wilbur and I are in puppy school, and the beach club swim meets have begun, as have the volunteer jobs for Megan. All I do now is drive around. Add to that the 'social' driving and there isn't time for much of anything! And I am exhausted from getting up at 5 every morning with Wilbur. This morning he got up at 5:15 and had peed in his crate, only the second time he's done that. I think that he heard Kevin get up at 4, and that probably disturbed him and he forgot to hold it in. I can always tell, because when he whimpers to get out, he is sitting at the back of the crate, which fortunately has two doors, one on the front and one on the side. If I take him out the side, he avoids the runoff.

Today the cleaning people came, so I took Molly and Wilbur out (he hates the car!) and we went to the off-leash dog park. He loved it! Molly is so old that I bring her on the small dogs side (supposed to be under 35 pounds, usually they look to be about 40, so even then Wilbur is small) but noone usually complains. One woman today made some comments that her dog was scared of Molly because she was "big," but really Molly sniffed her dog and then laid down, there are far more disruptive small dogs than Molly. That dog cowered by her owner the whole time anyway, even with all the assorted small- to medium-sized dogs. Now Wilbur is having a nap, and Molly is also worn out.

It's nice and cool out today, which would be really nice if we were going to see Macbeth at the community college like I had hoped to do, but I didn't think about the beach club swim meets, so we will have one of those tonight, and it's sure to be pretty cold. Megan wants to go and scoop ice cream first for a pool club fundraiser, so again, more driving around.

Regarding Megan, she did her first day of hospital volunteering and it cost me $40 - $25 for a pair of khaki pants and $15 for the uniform shirt. She liked it OK. They get to eat $5 of food for free, and then she sat around for a while. But later on she was asked to deliver some flowers and balloons, and she got to bring them to a couple of patients on the pediatric floor. So that was at least something.

Tomorrow she volunteers in physical therapy for the afternoon, for the first time. Her school assignment (for the extended year program) turned out to be preschool, so she was less than thrilled about that, but she knows a boy who's in there with her and at least in those classes they keep you busy. But the kids are a little less responsive so it's not rewarding in the same way. But she still enjoys it.

And we went to visit TCNJ on Monday, for a tour. She had some interest, which is good, because if we find ourselves in the poorhouse in two years, we might have to insist on a state school. Even being a state school, without any type of scholarship, tuition + room and board is about $20,000 per year. But hopefully she will get some sort of aid.

Brian is finishing up his tennis camp, which he absolutely loved. Aside from a couple of boring and overcrowded camps when he was little, he has never played before this and he's really enjoying it. I might look into letting him take lessons throughout the year, since it looks like he'll be giving up baseball anyway. His team is more or less falling apart and they never win a game. He also has to start his summer reading. I ordered the one book, about Michelangelo, on cassette to help him with the pronunciation and to stay on topic. Now we're waiting for it to be delivered.

In other news, Kevin is in Pennsylvania for some golf event or other. He took my TomTom so I won't be able to find the tricky back roads into the beach club we have to go to for tonight's meet. But I'll get there eventually. I always do. Just keep heading east and I'll end up at the ocean! The good news is that the washer is working, but the bad news is that I have so much laundry piled up that it will probably take me two weeks to get all caught up. The dryer is squeaking now, too, but I won't worry about that until it starts smoking or stops drying clothes!

Also, the Fresh Air Fund trip to our area is in six days, and we still have not been assigned a child. I just have that feeling that something is wrong, and I have emailed the new rep, and she wrote back once, but not the second time. I don't know if she is on the ball, and this is just how things work, or what is going on. But I was under the impression they had more children applying than they had host families willing to take them in; so I don't know why they would wait so long to assign a child. The rep said she had one other family in the same situation. I wrote back and said we'd take anyone, I don't want to really specifially have to be locked into a gender or age. But that's the mail she didn't respond to, so I don't know if you can even enter an open request. I really would take any age or gender; what difference does it make? Just adjust the activities accordingly.

No comments: