Saturday, July 25, 2009

this n that

So dawns the new day of the family of four again. Kevin has invited a friend from work to come down and spend the day with us, we'll take her to the beach and then she can stay over if she likes. She's from Denmark, and is moving back, and her husband and son have already left ahead of her, so she is all alone. I don't know if she'll end up staying but I guess I should prepare the bed just in case. We're supposed to pick her up at the train at around 11, which is soon.

Megan had her party last night, and I didn't think about food until the last minute, so I ended up heating up a couple of Costco dinners, and making a big pot of sauce and some pasta. There is plenty left over, so that will be good. They didn't end up leaving until around 11:30 and I had let Wilbur be loose for most of the day, so we were all wiped out. He didn't have any accidents in the house, except for when he peed on the girls who were ooh-ing and ahh-ing over him and he got all excited.

This morning I have already had Wilbur to the vet and dropped off my money-sucking Explorer for an oil change, because I realized that it's been 5,000 miles since its last one, and I want to drive it to Maryland on Tuesday, and to Cape May the week after that. After that it will get a nice long rest and the Honda will step up again. I also have to remember to check when the Honda needs one, and I have to call and schedule Megan's six hours of driving lessons, because when we get back from London, she will be old enough to pick up her permit! She already passed the test in drivers ed, so she doesn't have to worry about that. She has to do three two-hour sessions with the school, and then she can start driving with one of us in the car. I can't believe it! But now I will have a designated driver when I want to have that second glass of wine if we're out for dinner :-)

As for Brian, I am still trying not to dwell on the swallowing thing, but I do ask him a few times a day and get a cryptic response each time. "Just a tiny bit," or, "my throat was burning," or "I killed my throat in the pool." So he now is saying that it bothers him when he's swimming, which is what he was doing when it first started; and then he was doing some weird cough last night, like a hack, and Megan was in her room coughing, just in time for Nationals next week. Wonderful.

Anyway, in other news, Kevin and Brian are out doing their Saturday morning grass cutting, and I should go get Kevin to take me up to get my car - then he can get his friend on the way back and I can bring the Explorer home. It seems like it's going to be quite a nice day out today. Tomorrow is Megan's last day before she has to leave for Maryland at 7:30 Monday morning, and I have to get some of the clothes washed for her to take down. They have practice tomorrow night and will get their t-shirts and "uniform" that they all have to wear on the bus down (just a shirt). She's also swimming on a relay team in the pool club championship meet, against my better judgement, tomorrow at 10. I don't think it's wise, but she didn't have the nerve to get herself out of it, I guess.

No comments: