Sunday, July 5, 2009

july 5

I hate July 5, generally. This year is significant because the reason I hate July 5 is because it is the anniversary of the day the dog bit my nose off. July 5, 1979, to be exact, so that means that this is the 30 year anniversary! So far, the day has started out fairly as usual, with the puppy beginning his whimpers at 6am, and the house smelling like a dirty litterbox that needs complete changing as soon as I am awake enough to tackle it. I usually just try to stay low key and not do anything too significant on July 5. I just dislike the day.

And so we had a very nice Fourth. We decided to go to the party for the twins and then come later to the beach for the fireworks, and it actually worked out quite well. We left right after their birthday cake, came home and walked the dogs, and then headed out to the beach, hitting almost no traffic at all. We stayed until around 11, then came home and had to hang out with the puppy for a little while, since he had been confined for so much of the day in his little crate. Maybe I can run him to the dog park again today so he can get some exercise. His little ears are looking greenish, I don't know why. I thought he had scratched them after he walked in grass but it seems to be getting worse, so I don't think that's why. I'll try cleaning them today and see if that helps. Since his bath, he smells a whole lot better, but I didn't want to freak him out in his first bath, so I didn't wash around his face or ears. He also has oozy eyes, so he always has a little reddish brown discharge on the sides. I'll have to ask the vet about that, but it may be normal for these little doggies.

And we're heading into busy times now. Megan starts her school volunteering tomorrow, then we're going for a college tour at TCNJ (The College of NJ). The Doll had said she wanted to come, I guess I'll have to find out if she is able to walk well enough to join us. If she comes, I hope she can walk, because it will be a pain if she's dragging behind the whole time. She is so excited about the whole college selection process, although she wants Megan to go to NYU so she can take trips in and meet up with her for lunch. Beach club meets also start Tuesday, so Megan will have those meets Tuesday and Thursday (so will Brian) as well as Wednesday and Saturday for the pool club, except this coming Saturday, when she has to go swim in a meet at Rutgers. (where I also need to schedule a college tour)

The hospital volunteering also starts this week, but she hasn't been able to get hold of the volunteer coordinator, to make sure it's OK that she comes Tuesday afternoons instead of mornings, because she is supposed to be at the pool club on Tuesday mornings for the next three weeks. And then, the last week in July, she goes to Maryland for nationals, and returns home with very little to do, just the two days at the hospital. And the vacations. When I speak of it like that, it seems like summer is over already! Better get Brian started on that summer reading!

In other news, Brian was taught to operate the ride-on mower yesterday. He did all the open areas, and Kevin supplemented the work with the push-mower and edged with the weed whacker. So we are lawn-service free now. Kevin says the guy finally did return his call, saying he couldn't find our number. Hmm. I think we have two listed in the phone book but I guess he doesn't use that modern technology. I have to spend part of this week figuring out how I am going to pay my bills from the last weeks of school; and the cleaning people come this week. I would like to put them on hold for the summer, but then I'm just afraid I won't ever clean the house well. Not that they do! Oh, and the Fresh Air Fund visit to our town is a week from Wednesday, but we apparently still haven't been assigned a child, so I don't know if we'll be doing it this year or not. At this point I almost hope not because I have things lined up for some of the days that week, although of course I will work around that if something comes through. But if we don't get one, and then they put out desperate pleas for hosts needed, I'll be annoyed at the inefficiency.

No comments: